What type of Fish Can I Put In A Cool Water Aquarium ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How cool, and how large is the aquarium? White cloud minnows are a colorful schooling fish that you can add to a cool water aquarium. Goldfish and some species of loaches prefer cooler water too.

Panda cories are a cool water fish that live in a snow melt fed river in Peru. I know a guy who breeds them like crazy and he keeps his tank at about 71-72 deg. F He also keeps ottos and cardinal tetras, and lemon tetras with them.

They're good looking fish too. Weather (dojo) loaches are cool water fish as are hillstream loaches.

Platies are good for a tank about 68 degrees. Goldfish if the tank is big enough, but they must be housed as an only species.

10-15 gallons will be too small for goldfish, unless perhaps if you kept just one. They need a lot of room. Also keep in mind that they need more filtration than regular fish, as they produce a lot of waste. Loaches might get too big for an aquarium that size, too. If I were you, I'd look into getting a nice little school of white cloud minnows. They would work nicely in a tank that size.

Hope that helped, and good luck!

goldfish and a few tropical fish wouldn't mind the 70 degree temps, but the goldfish are coldwater and like it around 68

Goldfish get too big for a 10-15g tank. One goldie needs about a 30g tank. They are very messy fish.

White clouds would be the best fish for that size IMO.

I've heard of some goldfish called china dolls or baby dolls that only get about 2-3 inches. You might be able to put 1 or two in there, but most goldfish do get far too big for a tank your size. Other than that, you're probably stuck with white clouds or maybe a school of danios or mosquito fish. A heater isn't that expensive if you want to keep tropicals. You could certainly keep a number of small fish in a tank that size.

Check into dojo (weather) loaches for the bottom. They are awsome. They work well in water from cold to warm. So whatever temp you keep it at, they will do well.

Back
Top Bottom