When and how to use Nitrate tester

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am at the nitrite stage. I am testing daily, day before yesterday was at 1.0, changed water and yesterday it was .0. When do I know to use the nitrate tester? I won't have nitrates until I have steady .0 readings from ammonia and nitrites, correct? Thanks

Two tanks: 55 gal (14 cichlids) yes it is overstocked without being cycled. Long story.

Thanks again

I am at the nitrite stage. I am testing daily, day before yesterday was at 1.0, changed water and yesterday it was .0. When do I know to use the nitrate tester? I won't have nitrates until I have steady .0 readings from ammonia and nitrites, correct? Thanks

Two tanks: 55 gal (14 cichlids) yes it is overstocked without being cycled. Long story.

Thanks again

You will start seeing nitrates as soon as *some* of your nitrates start getting converted. It's not necessarily true you have to wait for nitrite levels to be absolutely zero. If you are seeing nitrites, then I would suggest running a nitrate test every ~ 3 days or so. Sometimes this second phase of the cycle (nitrites --> nitrates) goes very very quickly, other times it can take as long to appear as the first phase (ammonia --> nitrites). It just depends on the tank. The few times I've cycled tanks from scratch, this second phase took 1-2 weeks before nitrates started to show. But it really depends, I've heard of people seeing nitrates as quickly as 3-4 days after first seeing nitrites.

You will know your cycle is completely DONE when you have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and (some) nitrates present.

OK, thanks. I will test nitrates today. If the level is high according to the test kit, I will change the water.

The reading on the Nitrates was 10. Is this good? Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 but shouldn't Nitrates be more than 10 if a good reading is below 50?

Is my tank cycled with these readings?

Sounds like it's cycled. Stop doing water changes, and test again in a few days. If ammonia and nitrites are still zero, and your nitrate readings are higher than 10, then you are fully cycled.

As for what a "good" reading is for nitrates (apart from the cycling issue, just in general), if you have live plants then usually people aim for 20-30 ppm nitrates; if you have all fake plants, then ideally you want the nitrates even lower than that.

Thanks JohnPaul. I only have artifical plants. Good deal. Hooray! No more daily water changes. I will get a schedule of PWC once a week.

Back
Top Bottom