When and where to buy specific fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm still gathering a lot of information and doing thorough research before getting started on my first aquarium. I greatly appreciate the personal advice and expertise of the users here and was wanting some input on timing and purchasing.

I'm wanting to have aprox. 8-10 cherry shrimp, 6 peppered cories, and 8 male Endler's in a 20L tank. The tank will be live planted and only about 1/2 full as there will be plants on a land portion that is on stilts above the water. I also intend to kick start my cycle with a transplanted sponge filter with active bacteria. I will be keeping the tank at "room temperature" here in Texas, which will be about 65-70 in the winter (can add heater to the canister inline if necessary) and 75-78 in the summer.

I will be able to add fish to the tank by late winter or early spring, depending on recommendation and the water tests.

I have three local options for buying fish. Petsmart, Petco and a very small, poorly maintained privately owned shop. The other options are a minimum of 30 minutes away, if not over an hour. I'm wanting to get the best balance of health and cost. It's important for me to maximize affordability wherever I can.

Considering the species I am wanting and the time of year I'm looking at, what is the best place and order in which to purchase them? I don't know if it would be worse stress on the fish to have them shipped, to transport them myself for an hour, or to get them from my less stellar local options. I suspect there are species that are better to not ship and some that are better to have guaranteed quality.

Then, which species should be introduced to the tank first? I don't want to suddenly overload my carefully maintained aquarium environment and I don't want to freak out the fish.

I don't know where you live but there are a number of places in the U.S. that you can order fish over the internet. They are shipped one day and you receive them the next day. It's expensive but you have lots of choices of species. I've had good luck doing that. Way better choices and fish quality than chain stores and many local fish shops.

I do live in the US. Texas. I see a lot of people swear by Live Aquaria. I was just wondering if any of the species I'm interested in do better or more poorly with being shipped?

I've had mixed results with Live Aquaria, mostly not good. I use WetSpot in Portland OR. I've had maybe 20 shipments from them and only once there were dead fish in part of a shipment. They refunded my money. They know what they are doing and know how to ship fish. Once the fish shipment got delivered to the wrong address by UPS and sat overnight at someone's house. I found them the next day and all the fish were fine. You can call WetSpot and ask questions about shipping. I'm not aware of any fish that are particularly sensitive to shipping except hatchet fish.

Thanks as well R. I'll be checking them out as well. I live in Nevada so the shipping isn't too far.

I've heard lots of good things about WetSpot, too. A fish veterinarian recommended them to me. I haven't ordered yet, but when I restock my 150g tank after a rebuild I'll probably try them out.

Some local stores (especially mom and pops) can order stuff for you that they don't usually stock. My local store does so, and as long as I pick up the fish right away when they're delivered, they cut me a good deal off their regular retail price. You just have to be prepared to suck up any deaths without a refund.

Back
Top Bottom