When do I change my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. I have a 56g column FW drilled tank w/ canister filter that I have been cycling for a month and a half now. It is slow to cycle, but I would rather take my time than rush this. My water parameters are: T: 76, PH 8.4, Ammonia: 1, nitrite: .25, Nitrate: 5, phosphate: 1. I feel like the cycling process is almost over, since my ammonia has peaked for a week now, and I finally have some nitrite and nitrate. My question is, when can I do a water change? Last weekend I added 6g of topoff water, but I have not done a water change yet. I have chosen some hardy fish that to cycle the tank that I plan on keeping in the tank. I have not lost any fish, yet. Thx for any advice you can give me. I also added one amazon sword in the tank this morning, but it is far from established. :fish2:

Hello all. I have a 56g column FW drilled tank w/ canister filter that I have been cycling for a month and a half now. It is slow to cycle, but I would rather take my time than rush this. My water parameters are: T: 76, PH 8.4, Ammonia: 1, nitrite: .25, Nitrate: 5, phosphate: 1. I feel like the cycling process is almost over, since my ammonia has peaked for a week now, and I finally have some nitrite and nitrate. My question is, when can I do a water change? Last weekend I added 6g of topoff water, but I have not done a water change yet. I have chosen some hardy fish that to cycle the tank that I plan on keeping in the tank. I have not lost any fish, yet. Thx for any advice you can give me. I also added one amazon sword in the tank this morning, but it is far from established. :fish2:

Hi! With fish in the tank you want to get that ammonia down. Do a couple of 50% water changes, which will get it down to about .25. You want to keep ammonia <.25 (and nitrite <.25) during the cycle since you have fish. Don't forget to use dechlorinator each time you change water (Prime is the best but whatever you have on hand is fine) and try to match the temp of the new water with the tank water (just feel both with your hand and match as closely as you can). I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

My fish-in cycle tank just finished last weekend, after 6 weeks.

You're around where I was at weeks 4-5. I was changing my water out about every 1-2 days @ 50% volume each time. It never affected my cycle and the fish are happy.

Water changes wont slow you down, and the fish will appreciate it. You're almost there :)

Back
Top Bottom