when should I change filter pads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 10 gal tank and I read on several sites that say to never change your filter pads. Is this true? I know that alot of good bacteria live in the filter media, so I can see why you wouldn't change them. Also, what if the filter pad gets full of dirt or gets clogged?

One more question about the good bacteria, if you scrape the glass of your tank, will that get rid of good bacteria? I ask because I had diatoms on he side of my newly cycled tank and now it appears slightly cloudy after I cleaned the side with a sponge. Is that just dirt from the diatoms?
Thanks!!!!

:fish2:

I'm no expert but many people told me the same about the filters, the carbon filter many people don't even use unless getting rid of medication they had added to the tank. That pad gathers tons and tons of beneficial bacteria.
What I've done from advice from all these lovely ppl is put dirty tank water in a bucket and rinse the filter out in the bucket. Tap water will kill bacteria. This will help clogs and buildup. What I've gathered is people wait until the filter is literally falling apart! I haven't gotten to that point yet but I do have a 10 gal that has had the same filter for 2-3 months now and all I've done is rinse in dirty tank water and pop it back in.
I think once it gets to the point where I should change it I'm going to cut the blue mesh from the filter and stick that in with the new filter so the beneficial bacteria isn't completely taken out of the picture! Idk if people do that but I think it might be a good idea.
I hope this helps! Other people will deff chime in but from the help I've gotten, it's the best advice I have to offer to you :) best of luck!

For my filters that have pads still, I rinse them off in a bucket of tank water until they are clean and keep reusing them until they are falling apart. The flossy outer parts of the pads are still good for a long while. The carbon, since it's such a small amount anyways, is really pointless after the first few weeks of the filter pad.

Another thing I have done is buy a large carton of the carbon and refill the pads myself. Depending on the type of pad you have, I've sewn mine back together using fishing line or used the sticky sided velcro strips.

Thanks! This information defiantly helped! I am just SO worried about killing bacteria because my tank just finished the nitrogen cycle two days ago! I hated having cloudy water because of the cycle and i don't want to ruin the clear water :)

Also speaking of tank water, when should I do water changes now that the cycle is complete? I have topped off the tank when it gets low, is that enough?

:fish2:

One more question, do you know what this white mesh does for my filter? It said never to wash it, but it seems to be turning brown. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387643382.552773.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387643393.568935.jpg

That is what will house beneficial bacteria! I know it's kind of confusing bc the carbon pad catches it to but you take a lot out when getting rid of the pad. I have the same filter on 2 tanks. Mine are also a little brown. But I don't dare touch it bc those tanks are both cycled and I'd cry if I messed it up! Hahah but yes it's a plastic mesh to catch bacteria

And, as far as a water change. Have you done any readings on your water? Usually after a cycle the nitrates shoot up and you want to bring it down to 10 ppm.

That is what will house beneficial bacteria! I know it's kind of confusing bc the carbon pad catches it to but you take a lot out when getting rid of the pad. I have the same filter on 2 tanks. Mine are also a little brown. But I don't dare touch it bc those tanks are both cycled and I'd cry if I messed it up! Hahah but yes it's a plastic mesh to catch bacteria

Thanks! I wasn't sure what it was for, but it does make sense that it is a breeding place for bacteria :) I don't think I will be cleaning it anytime soon!

For the BB pad, it will also become full after time, just swish it in the bucket of tank water as well. It will be fine. As long as you aren't cleaning it under tap water the BB will be safe.

And yes, check your water parameters for doing water changes while you cycle. After your cycle and you start stocking, keep a close eye on your parameters but start doing frequent changes. Get yourself into a routine. All my tanks are on a schedule regardless of the parameters (unless they are bad for some reason then they get immediate attention).

For the BB pad, it will also become full after time, just swish it in the bucket of tank water as well. It will be fine. As long as you aren't cleaning it under tap water the BB will be safe.

And yes, check your water parameters for doing water changes while you cycle. After your cycle and you start stocking, keep a close eye on your parameters but start doing frequent changes. Get yourself into a routine. All my tanks are on a schedule regardless of the parameters (unless they are bad for some reason then they get immediate attention).

Thanks! I think I will do weekly changes to get on a routine. Should I do weekly or bi-weekly? Is it enough to just let water evaporate, then top it off, or completely replace the water?

yeah thats your BB, dont wash it enless rinsing in tank water. To get more bb you could always exchange that for an AC bio filter bag or even just introduce one in and get more filtration. Either way looks good

So basically;
- Filter floss/mechanical filtration can be changed (as long as adequate biological filtration is also in the filter
- Never, or try to never, change or rinse the bio-filter with tap water.

Thanks! I think I will do weekly changes to get on a routine. Should I do weekly or bi-weekly? Is it enough to just let water evaporate, then top it off, or completely replace the water?

Weekly or bi-weekly will depend on your stocking and the bio-load they produce. Once you get an idea by testing, you'll have a better idea of what kind of schedule do put the tank on. Personally I suggest weekly.

You want to do a full change, including cleaning the gravel. This will keep the fish waste from building up and causing you problems like ammonia levels rising later on when it builds up. Topping off is fine as it evaporates, but you still need to do a good cleaning. :)

Back
Top Bottom