When to do first partial water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys. New member and fish keeper and looking forward to many happy fishy years!

I did a bit of reading around and settled on a lido 120 tank. I have now had my setup running a little over two weeks. First 10 days it just contained plants and the past week I have introduced 6 platies. Water was tested before adding fish and was deemed of acceptable quality.

What I am looking to find out now is when is a good time to do my first 10% water change? I was going to go ahead and do this tomorrow but thought I would ask you good people first.

Thanks, Niv

Since your doing a Fish-In cycle, be prepared to do lots of 25-50% water changes.

If you haven't already, get yourself a liquid testing kit. They're more expensive than the paper strips, but also more accurate.
You'll need to test the water at least once a day. If you're ammonia and/or nitrite readings are above .25ppm, then do a PWC large enough to get it below .25ppm. For example, if ammonia reads .50ppm, then you'll need to change out approximately 60% of the water. Just remember that the longer you're fish are exposed to readings above .25ppm the more likely they are to get sick and/or die.

Be patient. This process can take 4-6 weeks... And that's if you DON'T have problems that cause it to stall. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom