Where are my otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrannyBecky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a major algae problem so I added six snails and 5 oto catfish. I have not seen the otos since the second day. I don't think that they died as they have not floated and I test the water daily (trying to get a handle on things) and there have been no spikes. My tank is 20 gals and planted so there are lots of hiding places. Should I worry? Algae is much better.

How do I know when snails and otos need feeding? I have offered some algae wafers to snails which the one closest to seem to enjoy. Most snails never seem to find.

I recently had three guppies sicken and die. I believe because of over feeding.
This is why I test water constantly.

If you have snails and missing fish, I suspect the fish may have passed and been eaten by the snails.

I tried Oto's a few months back and within a week they passed. They were pretty small and skinny when I got them and never really ate anything and there was plenty of algae just waiting for them.

Wow, good to know. How can you tell if Ottos are skinny as they are already pretty thin fish? Or is that just from pictures as I haven't owned Ottos in a while and have forgotten their body structure.

After I got them home I was looking at pics on line and realized I had a few that we pretty poor looking.

Back
Top Bottom