Where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poetic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I need tons of help. I've been out of fish keeping for like 10-11 years, I recently got the itch and I would really like to get a new tank set up. It's been so long, and I was a kid at the time I have no idea where to begin these days.

What I know for sure so far is that I want a 29g tank. Couple items I know 100% that I'll buy so far include...

Visi-Therm 100w Stealth Heater
API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Basically I'm looking for a list of equipment to buy, like what you would recommend to someone if you were a store owner and someone came in and had no idea what to buy.

Someone told me to get a AquaClear Powerfilter 50 for the tank which seems fine, but I may need something different. I have a bar/counter top area between my Kitchen/Dining room. It doesn't get used, so that's where I planned on putting the tank. I want the tank to look nice from both sides. I'm not sure a hang on back filter will work for this, or will probably look tacky.

I'm not 100% sure on what I want to stock in the tank, but I'll give it a go if it will help with suggestions. We always had big fish back then, I'm looking to set up more of a community tank w/ lots of little active fish. After looking around the various sites these last few days, I'm kinda thinking about maybe doing...

A pair of German Blue Rams
5 of some kind of Cory
5-8 of some small school fish (suggestions?)
Room for more?

The Rams seem kinda scary, I'm reading they're hard to keep alive. But I love the way they look.

I plan to plant the tank, but light. Was thinking of buying one of those kits on the online stores that give you 5-6 type of plants at 1-3x each. That a good idea?

Ok, hope this is enough info! I'd like suggestions on everything I'll need to get started. I plan to do the fishless cycle I've been reading about. I have a budget of about $250 for the tank and equipment. That's not counting the fish. I could probably swing a little more though if need be.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.

You may consider buying a Marineland tank, the Eclipse model. The filter is inside the hood and they do make a 29 gallon.
PS: my Marineland 75 gallon tank came with the Stealth heater, I don't know if they are the manufacturer or not.

personally really dont like the eclipse systems. i would go with a canister filter depending on the set up. are you able to put things bellow the tank? with a canister you can get a inline heater so all you will have going into the tank is 2 tubes. do you want low light plants or med light plants? i have a 29 gallon with a 55w ahsupply light over it you could do something like that or look into some t5 lighting. as for the plants you can order a package online or look for one on the forums.

I think I'll start with low light plants, I could always upgrade the lighting/plants at a later date if I decided, right?

The canister thing sounds nice, but the tank is going to be on a counter top. I won't be able to place anything under it, I could probably do something off to the side if I hide well enough.

Back
Top Bottom