Where to buy my stuff? Stand and sizing questions too...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirwired

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are the tanks sold in a LFS any better than the tanks at PetSmart/WalMart/Petco? Or are there ratings of tanks somewhere that I can be looking at?

As a complete novice, I have a hard time telling the difference between brands of tanks, especially since I can't put them side-by-side. Are there any real differences between a TopFin from PetSmart and a tank from an LFS?

I would be willing to pay a little more for a tank if it means it will last longer without leaking and/or be less likely to pop seals during transport.

The fish are almost certainly going to come from a LFS. (Although I was at PetSmart last night (the one in Brier Creek, for any Raleigh, NC locals), and to my unpracticed eye, they didn't seem too bad. The fish seemed pretty active, the tanks looked clean, and I didn't see any obviously diseased fish. (Although one fish, although live, was pretty still in the middle of the tank with the head tilted up at 45 degrees.)

Any issues with buying all the filter equipment, gravel, chemicals, etc. at a superstore? Naturally, if I were to do so, I would not pick the brains of the LFS and then turn around and buy the equipment somewhere else, which is why I am asking so many questions here.

About aquarium stands: Is there any kind that is better than another. I feel nervous about the wrought iron stands that put the entire weight of the tank on four narrow legs. It isn't the stand I am worried about, but rather the floor. What are the chances of me denting my laminate floor?

About sizing: The fish book I have recommends a 50-breeder as a superior tank to a standard 55, mainly because of the increased surface area. Will I be able to find a stand for that thing? What are the forum's thoughts on getting the 50 vs. the 55? (This of course all depends on getting my wife to agree to a tank that large instead of my Brother's old 29.)

------

I am actually pretty anxious to get equipment. I think I may pick up the tank, filter, heater, Python, chemicals, etc., this weekend, and then start researching actual fish while I wait for the tank to cycle.

SirWired

I actually saved a ton of money ordering all my supplies (aside from the tank and stand itself) from bigalsonline.com. As for the tank, I don't think there's a huge difference in quality between superstore and LFS, but I don't really know. I bought my 20g from Petsmart and bought my 55g used.

while the footprint of a 50gal breeder is larger than a standard 55gal, it's also less deep. say you want to keep angels, you would want the height of the 55 over the 50. so, take into consideration what fish you think you want.
as far as equipment goes, if you can save a buck, then by all means do it! i would take into consideration return policies and things of that nature.
stands in the stores will support what they say they will. you have a valid point about the four skinny legs on the iron stand denting your laminate, though.
tanks themselves i'm not sure about. i bought a used 55gal for much less than it would have been in the store. it's 15 years old and works like it's brand new. i'd say if it doesn't leak and is visibly structuraly sound, get it. i don't know if there's any benefit to a new tank like a warranty or something, might be worth checking out...

I really don't think brand for tanks matters. its weather you want a glass or acrylic then what fits your budget. The only difference really is how long as the tank been there and if glass how messy is the silicon? my true lfs(not petco) dates everything when they get in. but as quality is about the same as far as i have seen(own 2 all glass aquarium brands, 1 perfecto and my brothers is something else).

as for gravel filter and what not i advise like fishfairy to order online. its usually a fair amount cheaper. however if you go to petsmart they will price-match their own website which is cheaper(ie my aquaclear 150/30 filter was $6 cheaper, some thaiti moon sand is almost $10 cheaper)

the stands is all about looks personally. my lfs has the iron stands with some fully loaded tanks around 30gallons and such(tank, water, fish bout 40lbs substrate and live rock) and they are very stable. if you get a 50/55 i think wood is the only way to go(ive never seen an iron stand for a tank that large 29-30 is the highests ive seen). it really depends on your choice for apperance. Ie do you want hidden shelves, a simple shelf, a dual layered to add another tank if you want etc.

as for your flooring i can't help you there all i can say is my apt has laminate flooring and the previous tenants tore parts of it up but even when i tried dragging a table and couch accross the rips it didnt make them worse. in any case if the tank fell it would surley break but the inital impact my be enough to damage it

tanks

I agree, there does not seem to be a lot of difference between makes of tanks, unless you look at high end makers like Oceanic. I have a 30 gal by them and it is very pretty, very heavy, and would be very expensive to buy new. I got a great deal on used. :D So buy what you can get on sale.

As to 50 gal breeder vs 55 gal ..... really it is your choice. Yes, the breeder gives more surface area. But with airstones and modern filters I don't think the smaller surface area of the 55 will limit the oxygen absorbtion enough to be a factor. Unless you are truly way overstocked or have other problems. Have you seen both tanks to get an idea of the differences?? If not go to the All Glass site, it gives dimensions of all their tanks. Larger, active fish may need the length of a 55. But the extra 6" front to back of a 50 breeder will let you play with aquascaping a bit more. Or at least differently.

If your LFS carries a 36" by 18" tank, I bet they can sell you a stand too. lol Or you could make your own and save a few bucks. I believe there are several DIY articles here on stands and lots more if you search.

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

You could check ebay too! That's where I got my 55 gal with stand, lighting, decorations and a whole bunch of other stuff thrown in. I got a great deal.

I recommend getting the tank and stand at Petsmart, good prices. I would buy everything else online. I made the mistake of buying a python at PETCO and could have saved half the cost online.

Back
Top Bottom