Where to find seed material for cycling if you don't know anyone with an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrapulous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do any of the LFS, maybe the smaller ones, not Petsmart, sell seed material from their own tanks? One of the articles here said seed material is the most important part of cycling, but I'm afraid I won't be able to find any...

Have you tried asking any of the LFS's around where you live? I'm sure if nothing else they'd squeeze a dirty filter sponge in a bag for you

asking is the only way like jrp said. also a handful of gravel would also work.

No, I haven't asked yet. I haven't looked up any LFS yet. I'm sure there are several, since I live in Houston, but I'm not sure there are any that are near my house, or that anyone would recommend. That was going to be my next post, actually.

Houston Texas? Well, I live more than 1000 miles away, so I can't recommend a specific one. I'm sure a big city like that is positively littered with LFS's though. I'd bet you even have aquarium clubs and such. Probably a lot better resources than I have available in my little town

I live near Dallas and I can't find any good LFS's close. There's one, maybe two. But one is over priced and the other is just not a place anyone would want to buy anything from.

(moral: Things may be bigger in Texas, but bigger doesn't mean more LFS's!)

xD

Another thing to watch out for, if the LFS has had any problems with any diseases or ick, you can possibly have that transferred to your tank if getting seeded material from the LFS. The LFS here won't give out seeded material for that reason, as they have occasionally had ick and they use the same filtration system for several tanks. So if it's in one of their tanks, they treat the whole bank of tanks. Maybe if you have a friend that has an established tank? That might be a better solution.

You don't absolutly have to have 'seed' material.
All water contains the bacteria that is in the tank, it just has to multiply under ideal conditions I.E. cycling.
You can fishless cycle just by using amonia and maybe a little fish food, or raw shrimp. It just takes a little longer, that's all. It might take as much as six weeks, but it will be done right.

It's all covered in the articles section here.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom