where to get ammonia???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know if wal mart sells ammonia?? I am having trouble finding it and growing impatient! I want to start cycling my.150g!! Are there any.other ways as effective as ammonia to cycle a tank fishlessly? I know about the decaying shrimp.method but that seems slow especially on a big tank.

Does anyone know if wal mart sells ammonia?? I am having trouble finding it and growing impatient! I want to start cycling my.150g!! Are there any.other ways as effective as ammonia to cycle a tank fishlessly? I know about the decaying shrimp.method but that seems slow especially on a big tank.

I've been to Walmart and they tend to not have the Janitorial Ammonia (colorless, scent free), which is what you'll be needing.

I found mine at Ace Hardware. They'll make you sign a Caustic Toxin thing, so they can track who might be making drugs or bombs, but that is definitely where you'll find it. Hee hee.

I have no idea where to find an ace hardware around here at all. Am I stuck doing a fish-in cycle? Or throwing dead seafood in?

I have no idea where to find an ace hardware around here at all. Am I stuck doing a fish-in cycle? Or throwing dead seafood in?

GoogleMaps can tell you where the closest one is.

You can check around to your local hardware stores for good measure. I've checked Home Depot and Walmart and they didn't have the right kind.

I did read of someone who had been fishless cycling their tanks for years on a method that a lot of people cringe at -- using their own urine. I would say that's a last resort!

Dead seafood, seeing if you can buy potted plants, see if you can find someone with an establish system and take some of their filter material and gravel, etc.

Well I have an established 10gallon that I can use, but I don't know how much a ten gallon tanks material will be useful in such a large tank

Try the dollar stores in your area or Amazon. Amazon sells the ace hardware brand as well as few others. I believe Do It Best hardware or Menuards (sp?) may carry usuable ammonia as well.

Grocery stores might sell it. That's where I got mine but I am not in the states.

Back
Top Bottom