Where to start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_the_shark

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I just got a new 20 gallon top fin tank. I don't know where to start. I know that I want lots of plants. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. 1489600370731.jpg

Here is a really good guide on starting an aquarium http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186089
And here is a good guide on starting a planted tank. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/so-you-want-a-planted-aquarium/

I'd recommend first reading up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already, that first link has some good info and links. As for plants, you'll need to go with low light plants with that light, but that's easiest for beginners anyway. Anubias and Java fern are the most beginner-proof plants in my experience, but there are more. Water wisteria, water sprite, vals, anacharis, hornwort, Java moss, African water fern, and amazon swords with root tabs should be okay, amongst others. You'll want to read on planted tank substrates and decide if that's the route you want to take (it will be a lot easier to do now, while setting up, than later when you'll have to do more work to switch out). Good luck and have fun!

Here is a really good guide on starting an aquarium http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186089
And here is a good guide on starting a planted tank. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/so-you-want-a-planted-aquarium/

I'd recommend first reading up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already, that first link has some good info and links. As for plants, you'll need to go with low light plants with that light, but that's easiest for beginners anyway. Anubias and Java fern are the most beginner-proof plants in my experience, but there are more. Water wisteria, water sprite, vals, anacharis, hornwort, Java moss, African water fern, and amazon swords with root tabs should be okay, amongst others. You'll want to read on planted tank substrates and decide if that's the route you want to take (it will be a lot easier to do now, while setting up, than later when you'll have to do more work to switch out). Good luck and have fun!
Thank you very much for the resources! I am going to read it now. Java moss sounds interesting.

Definitely agree with @UntimelyLord on the substrate front, much easier to make your mind up about what sort of look you want to achieve before any water is in your tank. Had a total disaster with mine recently going from gravel and artificial plants to plant substrate, sand and real plants.. long story short my tank was cloudy for a while and I couldn't actually see my fish for a couple of days.. Not ideal.

So my number one tip would be to look at inspiration for your tank so you know exactly what you want, and remember theres no rush.. it only makes for more expenses and hassle in the long run when you have to correct rushed decisions!

In my tank I have some moss balls, vallisneria spiralis, amazon swordplants and some anubias which I attached to a piece of wood using cotton.. looks really cool! All of which are really easy to care for :)

Definitely agree with @UntimelyLord on the substrate front, much easier to make your mind up about what sort of look you want to achieve before any water is in your tank. Had a total disaster with mine recently going from gravel and artificial plants to plant substrate, sand and real plants.. long story short my tank was cloudy for a while and I couldn't actually see my fish for a couple of days.. Not ideal.

So my number one tip would be to look at inspiration for your tank so you know exactly what you want, and remember theres no rush.. it only makes for more expenses and hassle in the long run when you have to correct rushed decisions!

In my tank I have some moss balls, vallisneria spiralis, amazon swordplants and some anubias which I attached to a piece of wood using cotton.. looks really cool! All of which are really easy to care for :)
I will definitely work on the design first and cycle my tank for at least 3 weeks before adding any fish.

The cotton sounds interesting. How does it hold up the plants?

Thank you very much for the resources! I am going to read it now. Java moss sounds interesting.
I just read the first link and learned a lot. Unfortunately the 2nd link doesnt seem to work. It directs me back to mysubscribed page.

I will definitely work on the design first and cycle my tank for at least 3 weeks before adding any fish.

The cotton sounds interesting. How does it hold up the plants?

Forgot to mention I would also 100% recommend getting a test kit and thermometer, keeping an eye on your water parameters is essential especially when you are cycling the tank!

Oops mean't to say cotton thread.. :facepalm: I just used it to secure the plant onto the wood as plants have a tendency to float and wouldn't stay put otherwise, hopefully once the plants roots grow and develop they will attach themselves to the wood instead of using the thread.

I just read the first link and learned a lot. Unfortunately the 2nd link doesnt seem to work. It directs me back to mysubscribed page.
Sorry I don't know why the link isn't working. If you cut and paste it into your internet browser it should work

Forgot to mention I would also 100% recommend getting a test kit and thermometer, keeping an eye on your water parameters is essential especially when you are cycling the tank!

Oops mean't to say cotton thread.. :facepalm: I just used it to secure the plant onto the wood as plants have a tendency to float and wouldn't stay put otherwise, hopefully once the plants roots grow and develop they will attach themselves to the wood instead of using the thread.
Oh okay thanks. I think the kit comes with a thrmometer

I bought the same 20 gallon kit a month ago. The water filter isn't junk but you'll get better filtration with a aquaclear 30(150gph). I bought some flora max as a substrate for my plants. I recommend a plant like amazon swords it grows kinda fast even with the led lights that the started kit comes with.

IMG_1965.jpg

That's my tank and I replaced the led lights but the led lights that come with the starter kit still grow plants tho. Such as amazon swords, nana Anubis and water wisteria. Water wisteria is one of my favorites.

I bought the same 20 gallon kit a month ago. The water filter isn't junk but you'll get better filtration with a aquaclear 30(150gph). I bought some flora max as a substrate for my plants. I recommend a plant like amazon swords it grows kinda fast even with the led lights that the started kit comes with.

View attachment 296400

That's my tank and I replaced the led lights but the led lights that come with the starter kit still grow plants tho. Such as amazon swords, nana Anubis and water wisteria. Water wisteria is one of my favorites.
Wow, nice tank. My starter kit didnt come with a hood or lights so I got a discount.

Back
Top Bottom