Which order would you add ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Fishless cycle is just about done, and I finally (think) I decided on a stocking scheme.

I started with an idea from a great fish book with stocking schemes for a 29 gallon and tweaked very slightly ... this setup is lots of tiny fish, some of which are usually quite shy but they feel secure with other very small fish.

6 Danio Tinwini (Burmese Gold Ring Danio) - LFS says they're almost as hardy as zebra danio.

6 Harlequin Rasboras

8 Dwarf Pencilfish

6 Salt and Pepper Cories

6 Dwarf Chain Loaches

The loaches will go last.

Aqua Advisor says I'm slightly understocked and over filtered. I also have a power head going in there, bubbling away.

I'm somewhat inclined to start with the danios, since they're so sturdy and tiny, then the pencil fish ... let the tiniest fish get going first?

Tank is 29 gallons, with a Marineland Penguin 200.

How much ammonia did you dose with your fishless cycle? Was it the standard 4ppm ammonia? If so, your filter is built like a horse and can probably take a complete stocking load. (aka adding all fish at once). That is the benefit of fishless over fish-in. Get a second opinion though :)

While the bacteria might support it I prefer not to ... Budget wise, fish stress wise, me stress wise ... It's my first big aquarium and I'm still experimenting a tiny bit with conditioning my "almost RO" soft tap water.

I started with 4ppm and am re-dosing with 2-3 ppm. Something stalled a little, last nights ammonia dose didn't fully process.

I have so many little and/or shy fish I wonder if gradual introduction helps everyone establish territories or something? All the fish at once is a ton of change for all of them. Gradually, they only have 6 new tank mates at a time.

Well as far as territories go, if you have territorial fish the general rule is to introduce them all at once to PREVENT that, so one fish doesn't say "Hey this is my tank! Get out of here you punks!" and then proceeds to harass the new fish. Though none of your fish would be considered territorial. The other thing is schooling fish (which most of yours are) feel safer in large groups. I understand the budget thing though! I would do the cory cats first, since they are the clean up crew, and then really I'd do whichever group looks the healthiest when you go to buy them at the fish store next. Being so peaceful it's not going to matter much. :)

If your pH goes too high (soft water problems) as can happen during a fishless cycles especially, your bb can start to die off. This might be your ammonia issue. A WC can help this. Another thing could be phosphate being all used up (a pinch of fish food can remedy this). Have you considered using crushed coral in your filter, limestone in your scape, and coral sand for substrate? Those things can help buffer your aquarium without causing drastic pH swings. Just throwing ideas out there.

Too bad you aren't into discus. Discus LOVE soft water :) I can never own them because of this. My water is hard.

I am indeed trying coral etc, the long story is in my thread that's my journal of a fishless cycle in soft water. The cycle is going very well, I have help from a local expert.

Thanks for the advice on the stocking. Why cories first? I thought they were more delicate and there isn't anything to clean up yet.

I've never experienced cory cats being delicate. Because they are on the bottom however, they will be the first to know if things are not going well with your water parameters. By themselves cory cats are lots of entertainment and a joy to watch, IMO it would be much more fun to watch a solitary group of cory than a solitary group of say, danios. The other thing is, when you're cycled, as long as you keep up on regular water changes, you are not going to have to worry about bad water affecting them. Also, slowly adding fish makes it even safer. I wouldn't worry on that account, bad water is most likely NOT going to happen. You seem very informed and responsible, which are the two biggest hurdles people have with beginning fish. Also as you add more fish and figure out a feeding schedule/amount the corys will get fat and happy on any leftovers if you happen to accidentally overfeed your top fish. Really, it's mostly a personal preference on adding the cory cats fist. With your stocking, being very peaceful community fish, any could be added first, I don't think order really matters that much for you. If you want to play it safe and just go with the most hardy first go with the danios. They are notoriously hardy.

Well ... Petsmart does have cories on sale for $1 each till 4/27 ... It'd save a trip across town! I'll get most fish at the big fish store across town where I also have a gift certificate but I'm having one of those weeks, this week and next, when avoiding an hour in the car sounds really nice!!

Back
Top Bottom