Which Pleco with Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumWorld

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! So I've not actually bought anything that I NEED to get me started, but I'll be looking to do so in the next month or two. I'm looking for a head start on a few things!

Okay, so I know that certain tetras aren't compatible with certain plecos, but I'd basically just like to know which plecos suit best to go along with tetras (neon, glowlight and rummynose)?

Plecos are very peaceful with other fish and no pleco should be an issue with aggression towards your tetras or vice versa.

What you must consider though is the size of your tank. Tetras can live happily in smaller tanks but some plecos can grow huge. So the main thing I'd advise is consider the type of pleco that would be most happy in the size of tank you have for your tetras.

What size of tank do you have or intend to get?

I understand what you're saying about them growing to a huge size. So yes it does matter about the tank size.

The tank I'm thinking about getting isn't small, if it was then I wouldn't get any plecos, knowing that they can grow big. I'm sure it's a 68 litre tank. H-43.5cm x W-36cm x L-56cm.

The common plec can grow massive and a 68L tank is still way too small. Go for something like the rubberlip plec, stays small.

Good luck mate

GazMoor

***** My set up *****

1 Black Moor & 2 fancy Goldies in a 200L (50gal) aquarium.

1200LPH canister filter.

Planted Aquarium.

My personal favourite tetra is the emperor tetra by the way :) wee stunners hehe

(Not your original question but check em out, gorgeous, peaceful and quite easy to keep)

GazMoor

***** My set up *****

1200LPH canister filter.

Planted Aquarium.

I've been thinking about that, I didn't want to get a Pleco because I do know they can reach a huge length. A smaller one would be ideal (; thanks for your help!

You've got a good sized tank by the way, but I'm just looking for something to get me started as this is a really good hobby. Not even a hobby, but an experience :)

No problems mate :) happy to help.

I'm addicted. My dad used to keep tropicals for decades so I know a fair bit about that but strangely I love my big goldies lol.

GazMoor

***** My set up *****

1200LPH canister filter.

Planted Aquarium.

I think a Bristlenose is to big for a 68 liter tank it's only like 17 gallons.

I don't recommend holding it like this but if you can find somewhere and have the funds, a pitbull plec maxes out about 3 inches. Probs a bit more expensive though.

Cheers,
GazMoor

***Tropical Tank***

190L Corner Aquarium

1200LPH Canister Filter

Planted Aquarium.

7 Glolight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Emperor Tetras
2 Bronze Corys
Pleco

Attachments

• 1393421632316.jpg
    1393421632316.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 111
I'll try and find a Pit Bull Pleco, if not, then I'm pretty sure I'm going with an Otto Catfish or a few. Thanks for your help guys (;

I have a stunning bristle nose CF in my 60g tank with mixed shoals of tetras. No probs at all but I defo wouldn't have two BN as he pretty much commands all the tank as his territory. He is 5" and looks well scaled for a 60g and would put him in anything smaller.

Back
Top Bottom