Which Sand to Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SVTUSMC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys, and gals here is a simple question, I'm going to do a sand bed for my substrate in my 90 gallon.

I have been reading online and there seem to be many opinions on which sand to use. I've seen people say to only use silica sand (blasting sand), pool filter sand, play sand.

Which do you recommend? Silica, and pool filter sand seem to be hard to find. And play sand is 3.50 a bag. Or I can go to my LFS and buy a bag not sure what brand for 19.99.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pool filter sand is what I use and I like it a lot. It can be found at Home Depot, menards, or a pool supply store for cheap. It's more dense than play sand so it doesn't create a dust cloud when it's stirred up.

Pool filter sand is what I use and I like it a lot. It can be found at Home Depot, menards, or a pool supply store for cheap. It's more dense than play sand so it doesn't create a dust cloud when it's stirred up.

I've tried the Home Depot by me, and they all looked at me funny when I asked. Do you have a brand or a picture of the sand? Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom