White Fuzz on my Driftwood, What could it be??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got what looks to be like a white fuzz growing on my driftwood :roll:
Almost looks like cotton but it is slightly transparent, does anyone have a clue what this might be?

I have a 75 gal. tank that has been cycling for about 4 weeks now with raw shrimp.
Currently there are no fish in the tank, I have a flourite substrate w/ driftwood and the lights are not being used, also running an eheim 2026 canister and a magnum350 canister.
I know my tank is not finished cycling yet, my parameters are as follows:
Keep in mind these were checked about 5 days ago.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: .5ppm
Nitrate: not tested as of yet
Water temp: 82 deg.

It is perfectly normal and harmless. You can either let it go away on its own, scrape/vaccum it, or take the wood out and boil it.

Actually when I was setting up the aquarium I boiled the wood. But do you know what it is? As long as it is harmless it won't bother me. Did it show up because the tank is going thru the nitrogen cycle?
Thanks for your help.

I am not exactly sure, but I think it is just a mold. It is just something feeding off of some of the excess nutrients in the wood I believe. These nutrients soon run out and it just dissapears for the most part. Mine went away fairly quickly, and I think that my ghost shrimp may have had a hand in picking some of it off.

I had it on my driftwood too - after a few days, it just went away. I think it's just some fungus that was present on the wood when I bought it. I soaked and rinsed my driftwood with hot tap water, but I didn't boil it.

Yep, I had that on one of my pieces of driftwood. My otos ate absolutely all of it as soon as I put them in. Mine was an unboiled piece.

Back
Top Bottom