White slime on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New Genesis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm setting up a new 45 gallon hex tank. The pH has been consistently 7.4. Spiked to 8.0 at one point and i read about adding almond leaves, alder cones and driftwood as natural waits to lower pH. I added 3 medium leaves, 3 small cones and 3 small pieces of driftwood that were gently boiled for an hour.
The pH dropped to 7.8. I began adding pH down a little at a time over the course of a week and it's back down to 7.4. I can't seem to get it lower.
Anyway, I just noticed a thin white layer of yuk is on one of my pieces of driftwood. What is this, is it normal? Should I remove the wood?
HgCYEmXNSVC4QSjM6

Its normal a couple Mystery snails will clean it up or take it out and give it a scrub, wil probably come back again.

A potato cleaning brush new and rinsed off works well. Or a finger nail brush, good dollar store finds. Save for tank use. One more thing for the box of tricks. Might as well get a little storage container at the dollar store too, hahaha.

Its normal a couple Mystery snails will clean it up or take it out and give it a scrub, wil probably come back again.

A potato cleaning brush new and rinsed off works well. Or a finger nail brush, good dollar store finds. Save for tank use. One more thing for the box of tricks. Might as well get a little storage container at the dollar store too, hahaha.

Thank you Autumnsky
I noticed after I posted that it is on my gravel too. Any recommendations for that?

Vac it up and get the flow moving as much as possible. On one of my DW it was a gel glob like 1.5 inches tall in a section Snails ate it right up though.
60074-albums13090-picture68574.jpg

Back
Top Bottom