Why aren't people using this stuff to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

After the 30th or so cycle thread currently on here its starting to get a little boring, so I thought I would help some people out. There are people with two month old tanks that are not fully cycled, people with dead fish, and people that have to wait too long to enjoy fish because no one told them otherwise.

GET A PRODUCT LIKE SEA-CHEM STABILITY, CYCLE, OR SEVERAL OTHERS!!!

It will get your tank cycled in a week without losing any fish or sitting on your hands for months with a huge empty tank. I used it personally on my 55g with great results, and my friends have all used it to set up their tanks too. For 10.99 a bottle, why not? Hell, we might even be able to cut back the cycle posts on this board on a daily basis to single, rather than double digits. Sticky me, and I'm out :wink:

I have not tried the other two, but I know, from both personal experience and independant research, that Cycle, when used as directed, appears to have zero effect on a cycling tank. The only product, based on anecdotal evidence and some independant research, that really works, is Bio-Spira. This is why there is already not a sticky thread that resembles your post.

I have to agree with Toirtis here. I tried cycle when I was re-cycling my 30 gal (I had tore it down...long story). The product was used as directed and it didn't speed up the cycle at all.

I'm a newbie and was suckerd into buying "cycle" didnt work at all!!! USed Bio Spira. Still took awhile to cycle my tank, probably because I was making mistakes along the way, but my water levels didnt go to far out of whack!!! During my whole process I lost 1 cory,but I'mnot convinced it was due to water levels, but more that he may have been weak when I first bought him, as he was never as hyper as my other cory!! Now I have a bunch of Fry on my hand, and time to give them away. Cheers

they sold me Cycle when i bought my 5 gal tank 2 months ago...followed the directions...and...nothing happened...my little tank finished cycling last week...after 7 weeks or so...so it didnt work for me...

I tried STRESS ZIME, which was supposed to work the same way CYCLE does and had to stop it because I became concerned that it would actually slower cycling even more.

I've never used Cycle, but I know SeaChem Stability works. Period.

I'm using Cycle right now. Day 3 of the tank setup and Ammonia is still barely detected (with one fish) at 0.25 ppm and 0 nitrites. Right now, I'd have to say it's not working.... either that or it's on some sort of delay.

Right now, I'd have to say it's not working.... either that or it's on some sort of delay.

Yes...you will notice a slight delay. It will speed up in a few weeks, just like a cycle without it.

On a serious note, since this is day three...these readings are normal.

I used cycle (not as directed) along with fish to cycle my tank (no partial water changes until completed). It took 15 days. Ammonia never reached over .25 ppm and my nitrate reached all of 0.5 ppm for 2 days. On and since day 15 (could have been earlier I skipped a couple days) my readings have been ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and 10 ppm nitrates. I don't know if cycle helped or not. Would take entirely too much effort and time to proove it does or doesn't help for me to worry about the 10 bucks used on the stuff.

I tried Stability a couple months ago to cycle the 29 gal and it didn't help me one bit. It still took the normal cycling time.

I used cycle (not as directed) along with fish to cycle my tank (no partial water changes until completed)

That's the entire problem. If used as directed, you would dose at each PWC or at least weekly.

I don't know if cycle helped or not. Would take entirely too much effort and time to proove it does or doesn't help for me to worry about the 10 bucks used on the stuff.

If I ran a business and my customer made that statement...I would have a very successful business. I can sell a product and my customer doesn't mind one bit about whether it worked???

Let's be honest. When you start a tank and are cycling with fish, you are going to stimulate the growth of bacteria that is already present. Over time, these colonies will mulitply, completing your cycle.

What these products claim is that (quoted direct from bottle of "Cycle")

Reduces fish loss. contains more nitrifiers...keeps aquariums healthy...rapidly matures new aquariums

In layman's terms, they are claiming that the bottle contains...bacteria. Now, how is this bacteria kept alive in a dormant bottle laying on store shelves for months on end? The bottle I'm using for reference has an expiration date of October 2007.

Okay, end of rant.

ok...i think i have an idea thats been going around my head for quite some time...i have a bottle of cycle that i used the first time and since it didnt help i never used again...i work in a lab so i was thinking since its not gonna cost anything exept a couple of days of waiting for the incubation period im going to ask my co worker in the microbiology department to plant this stuff in a petri plate and see if that stuff is really alive...id thought id give it a try...i just have to ask and if they say no...oh well...we will keep posting and reading that for some people it worked for some people it didnt...let you all know tomorrow... :roll:

That is a good idea patagonia. Is it also possible to find out what else in actually in the bottle? Asking too much? Nevertheless, thanks for the help.

(kudos on the way).

ill ask...but since they deal with bacteria viruses and parasites i thing it gonna be hard for them to tell what else is in the bottle...BUT...ill ask the chemistry department...they are not that friendly though...haha...too bad i cant do anything other than ask...i work in the hematology department... :roll:
what are kudos btw??? ive seen those at the bottom but dont know what they are...haha...hope they are a good thing...haha

They are a good thing Patagonia. We use them here at AA to express thanks, rewards or polite thoughts to other members.

You earn kudos automatically for each post you make, starting new threads and posting pics in your gallery.

In the example above, you vounteered to attempt to solve a riddle, wrapped in an enigma.

That is deserving of kudos. :D

I am sure their are bacteria in the bottle and their claims are acurate if tested in the exact manner the researchers used. The problem is how robust the "dosing procedure" is to all the other additional variables we have in and relating to our tanks. Other manufactuers of similar products would jump instantly on bogus/false advertising claims inorder to boost their business.

As for buying products that may or may not help we all do it every day. Just pick your poison.. octane level in gas, diet pills, diet plans, shoe inserts, support hose, back braces, vitamins, antibacterial soaps, quilted charmin, copper bracelets, etc..... Products with questionable results are everywhere and we all buy them everyday and very willing. I just figure if I am going to spend 500 bucks plus, what is another seven and change (I previously rounded to 10) to perhaps to reduce the problems and time that so many encounter when cycling a tank.

I am using Cycle right now... just tought it can't hurt anyway...
Well so far, I regret to report that it is doing Zippo! :lol:

Great idea Patagonia! 8)
(however I would be careful, would be somehow afraid of getting sued by the
company, depending on the results... :mrgreen: )
Kudos to you!

Back
Top Bottom