Will my tank be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert.trumpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I changed the filter cartridge in my tank about 2 days ago and I'm starting to see the nitrites rise to .25 and the ammonia .25. Will my tank be able to reproduce the bacteria??

Your TAnk

I changed the filter cartridge in my tank about 2 days ago and I'm starting to see the nitrites rise to .25 and the ammonia .25. Will my tank be able to reproduce the bacteria??

Hello rob...

Filter media can be changed every couple of weeks, but you shouldn't replace more than half at a time. You'll need to test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and/or nitrite and change out 25 percent of the water if a test shows a trace of either of these forms of toxic nitrogen. The water change will get the chemistry back into the safe zone for the fish. But, don't remove too much water or you'll starve the good bacteria. It needs to reproduce to it's former level to handle the wastes the fish are producing.

What you're doing is recycling your tank. Don't worry, the bacteria will reproduce quickly and your tank should be fine in a few days. Just make sure you monitor the tank water closely.

B

Back
Top Bottom