Will plants help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I said ;)

Java Moss
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Hornwort (which I hate because it actually grows TOO well).

I ended up getting bamboo and some other aquatic plants. Also, got my amonia down to .25 ppm!

bdp242 said:
I ended up getting bamboo and some other aquatic plants. Also, got my amonia down to .25 ppm!

Lucky bamboo is not aquatic, do not submerge it

I don't know about your lighting but typically on a 10g it has two normal bulbs. If this is the case with yours you can pick up some compact flourescent bulbs from your LFS for better plant growth.

The bamboo isn't aquatic. It will eventually die, rot and foul your tank. It is ok if the leaves are above the water though.

You don't need to buy bulbs from your LFS. If you have incandescents they won't grow plants. Pick up some cfl marked 6500-6700K or 'daylight'. For low light plants you will only need to run one bulb IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
The bamboo isn't aquatic. It will eventually die, rot and foul your tank. It is ok if the leaves are above the water though.

You don't need to buy bulbs from your LFS. If you have incandescents they won't grow plants. Pick up some cfl marked 6500-6700K or 'daylight'. For low light plants you will only need to run one bulb IMO.

Correct about the cfl, I live in a small town and I can't get proper cfls unless I go to the LFS. Good lighting is a huge thing with plants, I just upgraded my lighting last weekend and I've already seen a huge boost in growth and overall health of the plants. Cfl are good little lights it's just a matter of finding the proper ones, another option is to have the tank near a window but this may lead to increased algae growth.

Back
Top Bottom