Will Purigen interfere with the Cycling Process?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrel

Aquarium Advice Regular
SeaChems Purigen Product looks like a miracle substance.

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Purigen.html

It removes ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, soluble and insoluble impurities. A liter of the stuff will clean 1000 gallons of water for six months. It can even be recharged for re-use!

But with all this cleaning power, will Purigen interfere with the start up cycle of a new tank? Will It leave enough food for the bacteria? Will there even be a need for bacteria?!?

I know that in water treatment, polymers are used to cause small particles to "clump" together so that they can be filtered out.

Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds.

That quote kind of makes me think that is what Purigen is doing. What I don't understnad is that if you remove all of these organics, where are they going? If they are staying in the filter where most of the bacteria lives then I guess they are dealt with. From what I learn as I read I would say that if you have a larger organic load then your bacteria can handle, maybe a better answer would be to add more surface for the bacteria to live on.

my two cents

Back
Top Bottom