Will this stocking work for a 20 gallon long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishMan134

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would this stocking work for a 20 gallon long?
3 Honey Gourami
8-10 Harlequin Rasboras
1 BN Pleco

My aquascape will have black sand, some live plants and driftwood. I will have an AquaClear 20-55 Gallon filter and do a 40% water change weekly. The temp will be kept at 74 Fahrenheit. Is this ok?

Should be fine, just not at same time. After the tank cycles, I would slowly introduce the Rasboras—maybe three. Check your ammonia numbers, nitrites, and nitrates. The key is patience in not overwhelming the tank until it adjusts and can handle the influx of fish. After the tank cycles, it might take a month or more to reach the numbers of fish you mentioned. Go slow, and check chemicals frequently.

Should be fine, just not at same time. After the tank cycles, I would slowly introduce the Rasboras—maybe three. Check your ammonia numbers, nitrites, and nitrates. The key is patience in not overwhelming the tank until it adjusts and can handle the influx of fish. After the tank cycles, it might take a month or more to reach the numbers of fish you mentioned. Go slow, and check chemicals frequently.
Sounds good! Thanks for the help!

Minor thing but if you go with a bn pleco i would go with a lemon or maybe a super red. The regular bn seem to get a bit larger - also if you can pick out a female they also stay a bit smaller esp the lemons or super red. Conversely if you want something a bit more interesting drop the bn pleco and get 10 or 12 otto.

Minor thing but if you go with a bn pleco i would go with a lemon or maybe a super red. The regular bn seem to get a bit larger - also if you can pick out a female they also stay a bit smaller esp the lemons or super red. Conversely if you want something a bit more interesting drop the bn pleco and get 10 or 12 otto.
Well currently I am debating between 6 albino cories or one BN. Which would be better here?

Not really a 'better'. Just different. Well the bn will eat some algae and the cory will mostly scavenge left over food.

Well currently I am debating between 6 albino cories or one BN. Which would be better here?

Not sure - pleco are famous for being messy but i don't have a method to actually measure bio load. I actually prefer small cory like 10 pygmy.... they are fairly light bio load.

Not sure - pleco are famous for being messy but i don't have a method to actually measure bio load. I actually prefer small cory like 10 pygmy.... they are fairly light bio load.

But wouldent 10 pygmys have a large bioload when combined as well?

Back
Top Bottom