Will Vacuuming the Gravel ruin my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAnchors

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cycle is complete and I am ready to add new fish, but I am wondering your opinion on vacuuming my gravel. Now that I have all that good bacteria in my gravel do I just have to let my gravel be dirty? So therefore when I do partial water changes I just suck the water out and don't get anywhere near the gravel?

BlueAnchors said:
My cycle is complete and I am ready to add new fish, but I am wondering your opinion on vacuuming my gravel. Now that I have all that good bacteria in my gravel do I just have to let my gravel be dirty? So therefore when I do partial water changes I just suck the water out and don't get anywhere near the gravel?

Why is your gravel dirty if you were doing a fishless cycle? Were you using fish food? Most of the BB is in the filter media, but there's lots in the gravel too. If you need to clean it, I'd only do light vacuuming in small sections at a time. Don't go nuts and clean all the gravel at once :)

ahah well I was just talking about the future! This is my first time doing to the fishless cycle since I just stumbled onto this site. My fish are in a temp. home for at least one more day until I am sure the cycle is complete. And I used ammonia I got at ace.

p.s I used you guide to help me through it!

BlueAnchors said:
ahah well I was just talking about the future! This is my first time doing to the fishless cycle since I just stumbled onto this site. My fish are in a temp. home for at least one more day until I am sure the cycle is complete. And I used ammonia I got at ace.

p.s I used you guide to help me through it!

Awesome, I'm glad it helped :). You should put some pics of your freshly cycled tank on the guide thread when you get some fish. Its nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom