Wondering about things I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireabigailq

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium, and I am wondering if I need anythings else, right now I have tank, light and hood, filter, heater, gravel, and a gravel cleaner. I am going to get live plants so I would like some ideas for which plants to get. I know about cycling and I decided on a fish-less cycle. thanks!

Java moss and java fern are good low-light starter plants and also look nice in an aquarium. If you are wanting to do more "difficult" plants you might state what kind of lighting you have and ask questions on the planted tank forum. I'm guessing you already have the little stuff - net(s) & water conditioner. Are you going to get a background? THey are not necessary but add a nice touch. A budget idea is to use a black trash bag cut to size and applied with Vaseline or baby oil (smooth with old credit card). Hope everything goes well!

Thank you, I have looked in to java fern and java moss before and now I am positive that I will get them both, I took black construction paper and taped it to the back of the tank, I agree that is does add a nice touch!:fish2:

What sort of lighting do you have? Anubias and most crypts also do fine in low light. For the java fern (as well as the anubias and crypts) try to look for different varieties to mix up your tank a little. In my 20g I have a bunch of java fern 'philippine' which I like because their leaves are much smaller.

Back
Top Bottom