Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnj55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20170424_135140.jpgI added a piece of drift wood and I don't think I let it soak long enough water has a slight brown tint. Should I just wait it out

Yup. Do some water changes and just give it time. It is a natural process that you just got to wait out.
I soaked my driftwood for months. When I finally got to build up my tank and placed my driftwood in, a tint of brown still leeched out. But went away within a few days.

Sorry for being such a newbie. But my son just got back from South Carolina and brought back some sea shells would I be able too put them in a freshwater tank

If they're cleaned really well (boiled) it'd be fine, but be aware that they'll raise your Ph. Depending on what kind of fish you intend to keep, this could be either detrimental or beneficial.
No worries about being a newbie- we all start somewhere! :)

Rocks are definitely not safe to boil. However, I have seen no evidence that shells are unsafe to boil. I own terrestrial hermit crabs and frequently boil seashells to clean them before introducing them into the crabs' habitat. Many others do so as well.
Could you cite where you found information that said boiling shells is dangerous?

I'm confused. Everything I've read so far says that driftwood will lower pH.

Rocks are definitely not safe to boil. However, I have seen no evidence that shells are unsafe to boil. I own terrestrial hermit crabs and frequently boil seashells to clean them before introducing them into the crabs' habitat. Many others do so as well.
Could you cite where you found information that said boiling shells is dangerous?
Nope I cant. But many shells have high levels of Ca and P which really isnt as hard as one would think.Im sure some are fine to boil. Ive boiled rocks too. But I try to give advice based on probability. Temp and length of boil certainly would be a factor as well.. Not to mention I dont see the need so id hate for someone to have rock pop corn in there kitchen lol. Many rocks or shells that have high levels of limestone or natural pockets within the shell/rock development would have a higher risk.

I'm confused. Everything I've read so far says that driftwood will lower pH.

It depends on how much carbonate hardness in water. Much over 4 dkh and it might stain it a little but ph won't drop much

It depends on how much carbonate hardness in water. Much over 4 dkh and it might stain it a little but ph won't drop much
Yep..lots of factors. Type, amount, ect...but ya its usually not a drastic change. A pile of leaves often have a larger affect.

Back
Top Bottom