Working with a 2.5gal tank. Need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xaoey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I recently have taken up an interest in marine life and therefore have plunged into setting up an aquarium. What I have bought is the Perfecto 2.5gal tank. The dimensions on it are 12x6x8. I've just finished setting up my tank, in other words putting decorative backing, rinsing off and placing both gravel and a decor, and lastly filling it with water. So here's what it looks like:

img_872244_0_3267ba8fe1ca9a1b6dfca83da192316d.jpg

It's a fairly small tank. That I do know. I plan however to only keep 1 beta in it. Nothing else, since this will be my first ever aquatic animal to care for.

Here's where my problem lies. I just now recently discovered from the internet that I need to cycle my tank. However due to me buying a plain old rectangle tank (that's what I like), it didn't come with any filters or extras. So what I need help with is picking a filter and a heating system that will work for this small of a tank. I'm really hoping someone can provide me with some insight for those two things. One other thing that isn't necessary, but if someone can suggest what I could do as far as lighting for this tank that would also be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Heating: 25w Visitherm Stealth
Aquarium Heaters: Visi-Therm Stealth Heater

Filtration: Azoo Sponge Filter powered by a small Azoo Air Pump
Foam Aquarium Biological Filters: Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 11
Aquarium Air Pumps: Azoo Air Pump

Lighting: standard desk lamp(incandescent, halogen, fluorescent, compact fluorescent)

Water Treatment: Seachem Prime Dechlorinator
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

With 1 betta in the tank, you won't notice a cycle. Change some of the water every couple days, and you will be fine. However, I would pick up a nice dechlorinator like Seachem Prime.

Since Bettas tend to prefer less flow in an aquarium, you may want to look at sponge filters. For a bit more flow there's the RedSea Nano Filter, or perhaps the AquaClear 20 which has flow which can be adjusted down. Keep in mind that you don't have to have a filter for the aquarium to cycle. The beneficial bacteria will live on all the other surfaces of the aquarium.

For a heater I would recommend the Marineland Visitherm 25 watt Stealth heater. That's what I use in my 2.5 gallon, and if fits perfectly without being too overkill. I firmly believe it's better to go with a touch more power and have control over the temperature settings unlike the smaller heaters.

The RedSea Aqualight would probably work well if you can get the clip to fit over the edge of the aquarium and would allow you to grow some live plants if you're interested. I've also heard some really good things about Catalina Aquarium, but have never tried any of their products.

Welcome to AA! and good job researching before buying your fish!

Xaoey,

I have the same type of setup, but with 4 guppies, here in my office. I use the Duetto 50 filter, and it's pretty cool in that it has a little adjustable snorkel that mixes air in the water flow, and, standing up, it fits perfectly in the water level of that size tank. The flow rate is adjustable, so since Bettas tend to like lower flow, you can turn it down a bit for your tank. My only source of heat is a CFL light bulb in a DIY hood I built. It may not be the best way to go, since it stops heating the tank at night, but during the day, the water gets up to 82deg.

You might want to get a turkey baster to use as a gravel "fluffer" since vacuuming that small of a tank gets rather difficult. I just fluff up the gravel and let the filter clean the gunk out, then clean the filter sponges.

Definitely get some Prime dechlorinator, and use it every time you do a Partial Water Change (PWC). I keep a 3-liter bottle of water on my desk, just to make sure the water I am adding to the tank is at least room temp. Plus, that amount seems to work great for a regular PWC. Check out the link in my signature for the 2.5g tank, and good luck! Keep us updated.

Even with one betta in a small tank, I think cycling is still important. That way you won't have to do so many water changes and there is no danger of ammonia or nitrite poisoning. I've heard that cycling a small tank like that is harder, but I think it would be worth the effort.

I agree with the Visatherm stealth and a sponge filter for your betta. I found a dirt magnet jr. sponge fairly easily and use a tetra whisper air pump, which is very quiet.

I also recommend looking into a hood if you can find one for that size tank, it'll keep your temps more stable, keep out dust, and keep your betta from jumping out (I've heard that can happen). Many hoods come with fluorescent lights built in as well.

What are you using to cycle your tank?

Oh, Welcome to the site! Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you want. The people here are very friendly and helpful :)

I agree with the redsea nano filter. I run that on my 2.5g tank and it works out nicely.

I don't necessary agree with the 25W heater being necessary. I do agree it's nicer to have control, which you can't get on the smaller heaters, but marineland makes a 10W heater that's preset (uncontrollable) that I'm about to give a try to. Thus far in my 2.5 I've used the Hydor 7.5W flat heater, and it's kept my temperatures in the 75-79 range consistently. I originally setup the tank with a stealth 25W heater, and let me tell you the only way to fit it in the tank is diagonal accross the back glass, and it runs nearly corner to corner. Huge eye sore. Especially with only having a betta in there, I think it's extreme overkill. If you keep the tank in a reasonably temperature controlled room, you should be fine.

I originally setup the tank with a stealth 25W heater, and let me tell you the only way to fit it in the tank is diagonal accross the back glass, and it runs nearly corner to corner.

Interesting. In my 2.5 gallon (same dimensions as the OP's aquarium) this heater fits horizontally just above the substrate with room to spare. I wonder if they changed the length of this heater at some point. Mine was purchased about 3 years ago. Or is your aquarium not as long across the back?

Hello everyone,

Well I've certainly had a busy day of aquarium shopping! Thanks to everyone who commented. It really helped me figure out a few things.

So I looked into everyone's suggestions and here's what I've decided. For the filters:

1.[FONT=&quot]Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 11 - I looked at it online and thought it looked very good. I tried to find it in a few petstores I went to today but they didn't have it so that was a bit of a downfall. Also I wasn't very fond of it requiring an airpump to function.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Red Sea Nano Filter - I really liked this filter. It's small, seems to circulate well, and the best thing was that it's adjustable. Really loved it.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aquaclear 20 Filter - I saw this one at pet stores I visited today and it seemed like a nice filter but when I took it out of the box it was really too big and seemed alot more powerful than what I need it for.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aquarium Systems Duetto - I saw this one at petco online and before I had left my house this morning for the petstores in town I really thought I was going to end up buying this one, but I didn't. They didn't carry it at the petco I visited, but they did have a similar one by fluval. I took that one out of the box and I did not like how the cords took up so much room in the tank.

In the end I ended up getting the Azoo Palm filter

[/FONT]Power Filter for Small & Desktop Aquariums: Azoo Palm Filter

I liked both this one and the Redsea Nano filter but this one appealed to me more due to it's design. So hopefully I'll be receiving this in a week or so.

For the heaters I ordered the Visatherm Stealth. I'm sure that when it gets delivered it will say in the directions, but I actually have a few concerns about it. Can you fully submerge it without it malfunctioning? I noticed Purrbox said she has it laid horizontally across the gravel in her tank; does that affect how the heater works? If you can submerge this heater in water are the dials located on the cord or on the tube part of it to adjust the temperature? Finally if my beta touches it will it burn him?

As suggested I got Seachem Prime dechlorinator and slime coat. I also bought some Top Fin conditioning salt and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals freshwater master test kit. When I went in to the pet store I also brought a sample of my water for them to test and they said my water was looking fantastic. Probably in another week or two my little beta friend will be ready for his aquarium.

One other thing I'm wondering about. Should I put my beta in before or after I put the heater in? On one hand I would suppose you put him in after you have your heater running and your water at an ideal temperature. But then I have read that beta's are not keen on instant water changes. So then on the other hand if I put my beta in the tank and then ran the heater what if it made the water too high of a temperature for whatever the reason. Then my beta would boil :( So yeah kinda wondering about that.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

hmmm, not sure about the submerging the heater question, but the heater won't burn your betta. Mine actually likes to rest right near it on the suction cups. You'll notice when you touch it that it's warm but not hot.

As far as when to put him in...I would wait until your tank is cycled and heater running at ideal temperature. Then you can slowly acclimate him to the new tank. Here are some sites that talk about acclimating:

Acclimating Tropical Fish to your Aquarium

Acclimating your new betta

I would NOT recommend letting the water from the bag/cup go into your newly set up tank. After acclimating, gently fish him out of the bag/cup and into the new tank.

By the way, how long has your betta been in the cup?

hmmm, not sure about the submerging the heater question, but the heater won't burn your betta. Mine actually likes to rest right near it on the suction cups. You'll notice when you touch it that it's warm but not hot.

As far as when to put him in...I would wait until your tank is cycled and heater running at ideal temperature. Then you can slowly acclimate him to the new tank. Here are some sites that talk about acclimating:

Acclimating Tropical Fish to your Aquarium

Acclimating your new betta

I would NOT recommend letting the water from the bag/cup go into your newly set up tank. After acclimating, gently fish him out of the bag/cup and into the new tank.

By the way, how long has your betta been in the cup?

Thanks for all the info. As for my betta, I've had him 4 days. Not sure how long the pet store has had him in there.

They are completely submersible, the line on the heater is the MINIMUM submersion level. The nob on the end is used for adjusting the temperature. I do recommend running the heater for at least 24hrs without any inhabitants in the aquarium. This gives time to get the temperature set and ensure that it's functioning properly. Even though the dial has temperature markings, these are approximate and you may have to adjust up or down to get the actual temp you want.

Once you are ready to move your betta to his new home, you'll want to acclimate him to his new home. This will give him time to adjust to the new temp without shocking him. You can get a bag to float him, or do drip acclimation. Both would work well.

I would recommend changing his water in the cup you are keeping him in. You will need to do that regularly until his tank is cycled. How much are you feeding him while he's in the cup?

So far I have just been adding water (that has been left out 24 hours) when his water level gets low in his cup and I've been using an eye dropper to pick up his waste. And I feed him 3 pellets in the morning and 3 pellets at night.

When you say I should change the water in his cup, do I need to switch all his water daily?

no, sorry to be unclear. it's probably best to do at least a 50% partial water change a few times a week though, just to keep the water really clean in such a small container. Good job removing his waste and letting the new water sit for 24 hours :)

AA vets jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here!

I would suggest soaking his pellets for just a little bit so that they don't constipate him. You can also feed him peas, I use the frozen ones and just nuke them for a few minutes in a little water let them cool and then squeez them to take the skin off and feed him the pulp you can use a knife the cut them into bite size pieces, the peas will help prevent consitpation. Other than this it sound like you are doing a good job.

Hi there,
Congratulations on your new betta! I just wanted to mention that your betta should not keep living in the little cup until your tank is cycled, unless you plan to do an instant cycle (e.g., using established media from another tank or Bio-Spira). It would be inhumane for him to stay in the cup for as long as a cycle takes to complete. Even for a tiny tank, you are talking weeks.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, many people don't even worry about cycling with such a small tank. You can manage by just doing regular water changes ((as long as you are religious about them)....and the cycle will happen on its own eventually. Since you are already doing water changes in the cup, you might as well do them in the main tank and let your little guy have some quality of life. Low light plants will also help improve water quality, and your betta will love them. Do monitor ammonia and nitrite levels even though you are changing water. You can buy a test kit...or at the very least, pet stores sell little sticker things to put on the tank that will alert you if ammonia levels start to climb.

Be sure to use a good dechlorinator and match the temperature when you change water. Letting the water sit out will take care of chlorine, but your water supply may also have heavy metals that need removing, and a good dechlorinator will do that.

I had an Azoo palm filter and loved it. I think it's still around here somewhere and still works.

Have fun!

Sorry. I didn't clue into the fact that you already had bought the betta. Although now that I look more closely at your first picture, I can see it in the foreground in the store cup. I would go ahead and add your Betta to the aquarium now. The larger water volume will be much easier to keep at safe levels of Ammonia and Nitrate than that little cup. It will also help minimize temperature fluctuations. You can test the filter and heater in a bucket to ensure they're functioning properly before putting them in with the betta.

Back
Top Bottom