Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

worms in java moss shrimplet tank?

i noticed some weird little white tiny worm things in my fry breeding box i use for shrimplets the other day and now i see larger red ones what the? i have no idea where they came from and what are they? most importantly do they pose a risk to my fish and shrimp/shrimplets?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Look It Up

The white may be planaria; Google that fo rimages and see if that's what it looks like. The red I have no idea. Planaria are generally harmless but on smaller fish and shrimplets they might attach themselves (I could be mixing up my worms though lol). Is there left-over food and such in the breeder box? That tends to cause planaria. Try getting an airline tube and put one end in the breeder box and suck a little on the other end to create a siphon and suck out any leftover food/gunk from the box (check the bucket before you toss it to make sure no shrimplets are in there) then replace the water with water from the tank (does the tank itself have these too or just the breeder)? A few cleanings like that should start to help with the worms; reduce feedings too. If the red ones are large enough try removing them manually with tweezers maybe.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok ill look them up thanks heaps and ill do what u sugested. Its only in the breeder as far as i can see. Do fish eat these?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think thats what they are and the red ones might be larger ones ill try and get rid of them tomorrow and hope my shrimplets are ok untill then

Tags
java, java moss, moss, rim, shrimp, tan, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com