worthless tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so a 5gal really does seem worthless, there's not much you can do with it. BUT I'm an optimist, :D and I'd like to make a small aquarium for....something. I was going to put some sand and pebbles in there with some live plants and some shrimp maybe, but as far as fish (I know I'm limited) I wasn't sure what to get. Maybe a small school of tetras, or something. Any ideas of fish that would stay under 1"?

I don't think a 5 gal is enough space for a school of tetras.

What about a betta? You could do a betta and some shrimp.

Or maybe a couple of Endlers instead of a betta.

I've already got about 3 5gals with bettas in them :p Endlers would work, what about dwarf puffers? (FW of course) Do those stay small?

Depends on the 5g aquarium, if you get a standard or bowfront footprint then you can fit quite a few things in there. Avoid the hex ones, they limit you to pretty much only betta. Wal-mart sells the little All-Glass bowfront tanks pretty cheap, but don't buy the fish there. I have one of these with a Betta, 3 peppered cories, and a mid sized apple snail. However, I did replace the filter with a penguin 100.

Some ideas:
Betta
Ghost Shrimp
Apple Snail
Small Corydoras (no more or less than 3, avoid the 3 inch variety)
Shoal of smaller tetras (glowlight, neon, etc... about 5 would do it)
Guppies/Endlers

Cherry Shrimp (my RCS tank is my wife's favorite)
1 dwarf puffer (maybe 2, might be pushing it)
endlers
small crayfish?

haha cool, thanks for the link! the black darter tetra and bumble bee gobies look really interesting.

It says the Black Darter Tetras get 1.6"...I wouldn't put them in a 5g.

Just because they are said to be Nano fish doesn't mean they can be kept in any small tank.

If you don't want a Betta, a single Dwarf Puffer would work, or make it a planted shrimp tank. Shrimp are cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom