would like your opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rgosdin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to start out that i am new to this hobby....like brand new besides small small tanks in the past. i figure there there is no place better to ask about these questions than here, so here we go.

I was at the pet store picking up some dog stuff when i walked past the fish dept and saw a rather large sale going on. a 55g starter tank was half off as well as assorted other items. i went ahead and purchased it since i am impulsive as hell and its contents was this. Tank, LED light/hood, Heater, Light Timer, Thermometer, HOB filter, and a bunch of odds and ends that company's give you. for the low cost of $117.00. at the same time as i was being my impulsive self i noticed the "canister" filters and asked the store rep if these were better than what came in it and was instantly convinced to purchase the Marineland C360 half off for $79.00

i have not put any fish in the tank. i started my research the moment i got home and have now been "cycling" my tank for 2 days.

so here is where i need your opinion, now that you know my setup (obviously i have assorted decor throughout the tank as well as an air pump) i have placed the intake of the c360 on one side in hopes to create a current by placing the out hose on the other side. but it seems as though there really isnt any water movement on the right side (tank flow from left to right) now i watched a lot of vids on youtube about setting up the canister correctly and have got most if not all of the bubbles out and if you pull the out hose out of the water there is (in my opinion) good flow coming from it, but the filter has been running for 2 days and is (in my opinion) very cloudy. all the reviews i have read state that "these" filters cleared up there tank A LOT, and i am unsure if maybe i did something wrong. is the c360 not pushing enough GPH to clear the tank? i put the question of 55 gallon tank and filter in my search criteria and one of the answers i read was that a 55G tank needed roughly 550 GPH where as the c-360 only moves ...well 360 lol. at the same time on the box it states "for up to 100 gallon aquariums" and clearly i am not that.

any ideas? should i do a water change even with no fish?
or is the filter to small for the tanks "length" ?

A c-360 is plenty for a 55G. I haven't used this filter, but my guess for the cloudiness is maybe you didn't rinse the gravel or internal parts of the filter. If you didn't, I would do 3-4 100% water changes so it gets rinsed. Since you are only two days into the cycle, it really won't make a difference so now is the time to do it. I also highly recommend putting some seachem purigen into your canister filter. It makes water REALLY clear. It looks like the tank has no water in it after a couple days of using it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow! What a great buy! And how amazing that you've combined the right amount of impulsive with the right amount of planning!

Are you cycling with bottled ammonia? And did you also get the API master test kit with all the bottles?

I also always love to recommend The Easy Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by Boruchowitz. Some bits are outdated but it has a lot of stocking schemes for a first timers aquarium. Lots of fish labeled beginners in the store are actually pretty fragile the stores also call 3 fish a school, when some need larger numbers to not hide.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How are you cycling your tank?

If you are using ammonia it is possible that that the cloudiness is due to bacterial bloom and this will go away on it's own.

$79 is a great price for that filter. Keep in mind that the filter will remove particulate matter from the tank but if whatever is floating in the water is smaller than the finest media you have it will not be filtered out.

That being said, before adding purigen and changing your filtration I think it would be good to try to understand the source of the cloudiness.

So this morning I replaced 50% of my water and I think its a little clearer. ..but we will see ...

I have only been crushing up fish food and letting it dissolve to build up ammonia in hopes to grow bactiera. I have read that the bacteria starters really dont have much affect. This is now the 3rd day of cycling.

so here is another question hkw do I keep water from siphoning through my air hose. My son unplugged the air pump and water made its way 3/4 of the way to the pump. And when I turned it back on the pump now makes a rather LARGE clacking noise... as if it is now broken. But back to the problem I assume there are 1 way valves you can purchase for this very reason. Hmmm I might be o to something here lol

Yes, unless your airpump is above the water level you should always have a check valve installed. You can get them at nearly any aquarium store.

Should I install that check valve at the pump or right before the air stone?

Fish food can get really messy, do you have a kit to check ammonia levels?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom