Would this be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was looking at fish again today, and was wondering how overstocked this would be...I highly doubt it would be physically overstocked, I am more worried about bioload overstocked, but I would be able to do more frequent tank maintenance if need be, as long as it wouldn't involve cleaning the tank everyday.

6x zebra danio
10x ghost shrimp
4x molly
1x platy
2x angelfish (one about 2in body diameter, other about 1in diameter)
5x glass catfish
4x guppy
3x oto
5x green cory
1x mystery snail
1x small species pleco

Oh whoops, its a 55g running with a whisper 60 and an aquaclear 50

The ghost shrimp have basically no bioload.
As for the rest. Stocking is very controversial. Many people say many different things

A definate maybe...

The general (but by no means hard) rule is 1 inch of fish WHEN FULLY GROWN per gallon of water when you are stocking the basic tropicals. This is generally accepted but by no means set in concrete. I mean, you have to leave the fish room to swim comfortably and not stunt their growth. A 20 inch fish in a 20 gallon tank would meet the guideline, but you still shouldnt do it.

If you stock more than the guideline says, then naturally your maintenance requirements increase and your hardware requirements (filtration) may need to be upgraded as well. By following this guideline your maintenance should be pretty routine with the weekly partial water changes, cleanings, etc. A lot of people will make the mistake and put more than they should in their tank and the increased maintenance causes them to lose interest quickly and the hobby then becomes a chore.

Yeah, there are different views and I respect their opinions, but I think this guideline is a valid one that has developed over the years from people way more experienced than I am. I try hard to follow it within reason and adapt my maintenance accordingly if I push it a little.

Just glancing at your list without looking up the specs of each fish (I'm only guessing on full sizes) and using this as a guideline, then your tank would be overcrowded or getting very close to it unless you would enjoy doing maintenance on the tank every 3-5 days instead of weekly. I definately wouldn't put more than this though.

:fish2:

that stock list sounds okay to me. you might want to consider removing them molly group since the middle of the tank will be fairly crowded, plus that knocks out a substantial portion of the bio load.

Was looking at fish again today, and was wondering how overstocked this would be...I highly doubt it would be physically overstocked,

Don't forget to take into consideration how much personal space these fish would prefer. It's not just about appearing visually overstocked or bioload.

Look at how many people you can stuff into an elevator. Yes they fit, but it doesn't mean it's comfortable for any of them.

Looks okay to me except for the fact that many of your fish will eventual;y become lunch or dinner for your angels :). My angels eventually ate all of my guppies and every shrimp I ever put in besides bamboo shrimp. Danios seemed to work mostly because they were very passive and swim fast enough to get away. Just be prepared for perhaps changing the stocking later as the angels mature.

This site is great for figuring out your stocking. It allows you to enter the exact dimension of you setup as well as your filtration type and kind.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I have found this very useful in setting up new systems to give a good idea of how much filtration I should have or can add to make the healthiest tank. I now have two filters on almost every tank :) as you do to keep the water pristine and in case anything every goes wrong with one....I have a mature backup ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom