Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Would this stocking idea work?

I have a 75 gallon in which I'm looking to stock a variety if community fish. I've used aquaadvisor to help figure out my stocking amount given the dimensions of my tank and filtration. Here's what I'd like to stock it with:

2 male guppies
6 blue velvet or red cherry shrimp
2 nerite snails
6 kuhli leaches
8 lemon tetra
8 neon dwarf rainbowfish
4 pearl gouramis

This setup suggests I would have a filtration of 181% and 73% stocking level with weekly water changes of 21% recommended.

My only question is if you guys think this could be a successful community as Aquaadvisor suggests my pearl gouramis might get to aggressive for the lemon tetras during breeding. I'm open to suggestions about other stocking ideas, but we are looking for color and variety, so we've selected our favorites with this list. The only one we can't change is the 2 male guppies as we already have them in another tank that we will be getting rid of.

Thanks in advance for your insight and suggestions.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your gourami (and tetras)will probably eat the shrimp.
If you keep more female gouramis than males you shouldn't have too much fighting.

But if you want more ideas...

Pristella tetras look similar to lemon tetras but just not as much body colour. Rummynose tetras are cute with there little red faces.
Other livebearers would also work and with the gourami you probably wouldn't have to worry about overpopulation. I like mollies, they get a decent size and can hold their own against other fish. They also come in a variety of colors, not as much as platies but you still have a decent selection.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dang I don't want shrimp casualties...would the other tetras you mentioned pick off the shrimp too? I don't mind a culling of the babies to keep the population in check, but I'd like to have at least SOME shrimp.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I reccomend having a separate tank for shrimp. I'm pretty sure any fish would see shrimp as a snack or pick off their legs if the fish aren't big enough to eat them whole.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bummer. I guess the shrimp are a no go then. Do you think there would be an issue with 3 female gouramis and 1 male along with the others in our list?
Old 03-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should work. Of course every individual fish is different so watch for nipping anyway.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You know, honestly itís up to you. Shrimp arenít all that expensive and if things donít work out, try something new! Just find fish that youíre into and like and go for it after doing some research!

Tags
community tank, freshwater fish, stocking 75g

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com