Would this stocking idea work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeeeyk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon in which I'm looking to stock a variety if community fish. I've used aquaadvisor to help figure out my stocking amount given the dimensions of my tank and filtration. Here's what I'd like to stock it with:

2 male guppies
6 blue velvet or red cherry shrimp
2 nerite snails
6 kuhli leaches
8 lemon tetra
8 neon dwarf rainbowfish
4 pearl gouramis

This setup suggests I would have a filtration of 181% and 73% stocking level with weekly water changes of 21% recommended.

My only question is if you guys think this could be a successful community as Aquaadvisor suggests my pearl gouramis might get to aggressive for the lemon tetras during breeding. I'm open to suggestions about other stocking ideas, but we are looking for color and variety, so we've selected our favorites with this list. The only one we can't change is the 2 male guppies as we already have them in another tank that we will be getting rid of.

Thanks in advance for your insight and suggestions.

Your gourami (and tetras)will probably eat the shrimp.
If you keep more female gouramis than males you shouldn't have too much fighting.

But if you want more ideas...

Pristella tetras look similar to lemon tetras but just not as much body colour. Rummynose tetras are cute with there little red faces.
Other livebearers would also work and with the gourami you probably wouldn't have to worry about overpopulation. I like mollies, they get a decent size and can hold their own against other fish. They also come in a variety of colors, not as much as platies but you still have a decent selection.

Dang I don't want shrimp casualties...would the other tetras you mentioned pick off the shrimp too? I don't mind a culling of the babies to keep the population in check, but I'd like to have at least SOME shrimp.

I reccomend having a separate tank for shrimp. I'm pretty sure any fish would see shrimp as a snack or pick off their legs if the fish aren't big enough to eat them whole.

Bummer. I guess the shrimp are a no go then. Do you think there would be an issue with 3 female gouramis and 1 male along with the others in our list?

Last edited:
Should work. Of course every individual fish is different so watch for nipping anyway.

You know, honestly it’s up to you. Shrimp aren’t all that expensive and if things don’t work out, try something new! Just find fish that you’re into and like and go for it after doing some research!

Back
Top Bottom