Yeah...Nitrite spike!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graybeard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It has been about 3 weeks since I set up the 20 gl tank, no fish and added 10% ammonia to a level of 4ppm. nitrites have been .5 ppm for a long time and ammonia between 3-4 ppm. I checked ammonia today an it's close to 2 ppm and nitrites are 2 ppm. Maybe the cycle is finally moving forward.

Do I need a PWC or can I let the bacteria feast on the remaining ammonia another week?

If no fish in the tank, no PWC's necessary. Now that nitrites are moving, when ammonia gets to 0, just bring it back up to 1-2ppm. And keep testing. :)

Yes. To properly cycle the tank, you need to keep adding 1-2ppm ammonia when ammonia reaches 0. You do this until both ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 in 24 hours, then you are cycled. Then you add fish. But until then, you are not cycled, and need to keep dosing ammonia. Cycling can take up to 6-8 weeks.

So if you see your ammonia dropping and your nitrite rising, you are on the right path. Keep up with the dosing, and good work. :)

Back
Top Bottom