yesterday's test versus today's test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, from what you are both saying my tank is NOT cycled yet? But, I'm down to zero nitrItes. Why would I now have zero nitrites, but still have a reading for ammonia?

Because there are bacteria processing the ammonia faster than the other bacteria are processing the ammonia.

Looks kinda like this...
IMG_2690.jpg

One I'm currently doing a fishless cycle in.

Bacteria can only process so much ammonia also. OP may have enough bacteria to process ammonia from tank, but when doing water changes the ammonia from the tap overwhelms them temporarily until they catch up.

Bacteria can only process so much ammonia also. OP may have enough bacteria to process ammonia from tank, but when doing water changes the ammonia from the tap overwhelms them temporarily until they catch up.

Can agree with that too, but if you read he's been calling the light green from the tank as 0 because that's what his tap is. Unless I've missed something he's not had a clean yellow 0 reading from the aquarium prior to a water change.

Agreed... That was just an example of how ammonia in tap will cause issues. You are correct, to the best of my knowledge had never had 0 ammonia.

Yes - you are both correct - I never have a zero reading on ammonia because it doesn't come out of my tap at 0. So, how do I know when it's safe to add fish? And, I want to get dwarf puffers, who are extremely sensitive to ammonia. Will I ever achieve a zero reading for ammonia in my tank?

In 2012 the ammonia registered 1.0 ppm out of my tap. I think this was due to the use of chloramines. For that reason I limited the water change volume to 25-30% per interval. Did not pose a problem because of dilution and a mature filter. Yes, it will eventually drop to zero ppm ammonia in the tank.
I had forgotten there was high ammonia in the tap until I did a 75-80% WC; the next day there was about 0.25 ppm ammonia and between 0.5-1.0 ppm nitrite. Fortunately this is stopped in 2013.

In 2012 the ammonia registered 1.0 ppm out of my tap. I think this was due to the use of chloramines. For that reason I limited the water change volume to 25-30% per interval. Did not pose a problem because of dilution and a mature filter. Yes, it will eventually drop to zero ppm ammonia in the tank.
I had forgotten there was high ammonia in the tap until I did a 75-80% WC; the next day there was about 0.25 ppm ammonia and between 0.5-1.0 ppm nitrite. Fortunately this is stopped in 2013.

So, what you are saying is that I should be okay to get my fish in the next week (they can't order them at the lfs until next monday)? I will, of course, do a probable 90% wc the day I am supposed to get them, but you think my tank has cycled and I am safe to order them on monday?

I would suggest you wait until you have tested your water for a week and all ammonia and nitrite are 0. If you do a PWC it should read 0 within 24 hours.

I would suggest you wait until you have tested your water for a week and all ammonia and nitrite are 0. If you do a PWC it should read 0 within 24 hours.

But the problem is: my water out of the tap has never read 0. It always reads between .25-.50. So, will it ever reach 0 in my tank? If not, I don't know how I will know when it's safe to get fish....:confused:

Also - should I keep dosing my tank with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I get my fish in? I feel I keep asking the same questions over and over, so please bear with me....

Ammonia is ammonia... It's still toxic at those levels!

So you have two options, nothing to be confused about.
1. Dose with prime, everyday, as long as you have fish and a trace of ammonia. Know that it will go back up every time you do a water change and add more water (with ammonia in it.) ***Given time your tank will treat it like any other ammonia and process it to nitrates.*** When?
2.Find another source of water.

If you add fish now you have to be very diligent in testing your water and dosing with prime, because it's still toxic long term to your fish.

But the problem is: my water out of the tap has never read 0. It always reads between .25-.50. So, will it ever reach 0 in my tank? If not, I don't know how I will know when it's safe to get fish....:confused:

Also - should I keep dosing my tank with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I get my fish in? I feel I keep asking the same questions over and over, so please bear with me....

I have exactly the same problem with my tap. It has ammonia and nitrates. But my beneficial bacteria take care of it. All my ammonia tests are 0!

I have exactly the same problem with my tap. It has ammonia and nitrates. But my beneficial bacteria take care of it. All my ammonia tests are 0!

So - I don't have enough beneficial bacteria built up yet to bring it completely down to zero is what you're saying? And, it will *eventually* get down to zero? In the meantime, though, do I have to keep feeding my tank ammonia to keep the bacteria fed? I've cycled a tank years ago and never had this problem....never felt the need to ask many questions. That's why I'm so stumped here. I just don't understand when I'm going to finally know that my tank is ready for fish. Unless, like I think you are saying, it will eventually get down to zero when I've built up enough bacteria?

Ammonia is ammonia... It's still toxic at those levels!

So you have two options, nothing to be confused about.
1. Dose with prime, everyday, as long as you have fish and a trace of ammonia. Know that it will go back up every time you do a water change and add more water (with ammonia in it.) ***Given time your tank will treat it like any other ammonia and process it to nitrates.*** When?
2.Find another source of water.

If you add fish now you have to be very diligent in testing your water and dosing with prime, because it's still toxic long term to your fish.

Ok - thank you toolman. I didn't see your post before I responded to the one prior. I've got you now. I will just be very diligent with water changes and using my Prime and testing water frequently! Like I said before, years ago, I did a fishless cycle on a tank (in another home) and never had these issues, hence very little questions, but this has had me puzzled since I do have ammonia out of my tap. Thanks again for being patient with me. :oops:

So - I don't have enough beneficial bacteria built up yet to bring it completely down to zero is what you're saying? And, it will *eventually* get down to zero? In the meantime, though, do I have to keep feeding my tank ammonia to keep the bacteria fed? Unless, like I think you are saying, it will eventually get down to zero when I've built up enough bacteria?

Yes, Yes, Yes, & Yes.

All of these are a matter of time.

I myself have the problem of Ammonia not dropping to 0. I had a thread for that and this was what Delapool replied.
I'd say either your tap water has ammonia or your test kit is not truly reading 0 or it can be hard to tell under some lights.

Would try testing on bottled water. Something that should have no ammonia. Make sure you are doing the test exactly as written. Is it the API freshwater test kit?

The other website is kind of correct but a little messy. I'll see if I can find a link tonight as it depends on PH. So as well as checking nitrites, I'd also get a ph reading on tank water and on tap water. The higher the ph, the more toxic ammonia is basically.

Link on ph and ammonia.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

I hope this helps you...

growing more nitrItes or another cycle?

Have added no ammonia and have not done any water changes for the past 40 hours. This is the test I got this morning on my water. I'm growing nitrItes again. Is this supposed to happen or am I going through another cycle? :huh:

Over the past weekend, I did see a link on a post here, to a company called AngelsPlus, (Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium) and I ordered one of their live bacteria sponges. It should be delivered today. I'm going to add that to my tank in hopes of getting where I want to be so I can order my fish next Monday.

Attachments

• watertest5.jpg
    watertest5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 29
Patience is killer when getting started. Your definitely still in the process of cycling.

I've seen it with others here on the forum. Some people were freaked out to see ammonia and nitrates and never see the nitrite. I think it has to do with timing on where things are in the cycle. If you are adding ammonia and sticking with it eventually you will see the 0 ammonia and nitrite. 4-6 weeks.

How is your PH?

Back
Top Bottom