yet another newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adiliegro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys...I was kind of torn between SW and FW for a few days and decided to start out with FW. I am going out today to get a tank (probably a kit) and was wondering if there is anything I need to get besides the kit? I wont get any fish yet to let the tank cycle itself first, or should I get the fish and let the tank cycle with the fish? Im confused on this part. I want to do this right and have as much success as possible right off the bat so I dont get frustrated with it, ya know?

Not sure just yet what kind of fish I may get...are there any suggestions? I really want to go tropical if I can. Are there fish that are easier to take care of for the newbie that you can suggest in the Tropical realm? Any replies appreciated and Im sorry for the dumb questions.

Hey there, adiliegro! Welcome to AA :D

No dumb questions around here - I only wish they had forums like this when I started out, LOL!

If you do get a kit, what size do you plan on? I recommend the absolute biggest you can afford and have room for, and I am not exaggerating. The larger the tank the more options you have, and the easier it is going to be to keep the water parameters stable.

Read up on fishless cycling first - here is a wonderful (classic) article on the subject: http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

The kit will likely have a tank, a hood with rudimentary lighting, possibly a stand and a filter. Sometimes they throw in dechlorinator, but if not, you will need that from the start. You will need some kind of gravel and some decorations of some kind to give the fish some cover and to feel secure. That is up to you in terms of how you want to decorate. You can choose live plants or silk, or whatever, but if you are thinking about keeping a nice planted tank then you ought to select your substrate (gravel, sand whatever) with that in mind. Otherwise any aquarium gravel will be fine.

What kind of fish depends on the size of the tank and your personal preference. Go to the LFS and look at the fish and see what you like, or search around on the web or in fish magazines to get an idea of whether you want a tank with a few large fish or with schools of active, colorful fish. Take your time (that is the benefit to the fishless cycle - it gives you time to research carefully) and post back with your ideas.

Im thinking that Im going to get a 29 gallon tank. Also think Im gonna do the fake plant thing right now as growing live ones in there will probably be more of a headache for me, I think.

So dechlorinator is pretty much all Ill need? How do I test for the nitrates/nitrites/ammonia? If I do a fishless cycle, wont I need to add amonia? If so, what kind of ammonia? Oh, now Im confusing myself...LOL

No such thing as a dumb question around here! :D

FW is a good start because it is less expensive to start up.

What size tank are you planning to get? I would suggest getting the biggest tank you can afford because generally, large tanks are easier to maintain and their water parametersare more stable.

Most people here would agree that the tank kits are often not the best investment. Often, they come with an incandescent (screw-in) light fixture that will probably cost a fortune to run in electricity and light bulbs. For a decent glass hood/light setup, expect to pay about the same amount for the tank - it's really worth it. The kit heaters provided are often crappy and need replacing - you really don't want to skimp on the heater lest you wind up cooking your fish.

You would be best off getting the largest tank/stand combo you can afford, a good name-brand power filter, and a good name-brand heater. Personally, I like the Marineland Penguin/Emperor filters and the Marineland Visitherm heaters.

Be sure to check out the articles here about cycling! Good luck!

I think before you commit to an aquarium you should have a plan and do some research. I made the mistake of not having a plan and nearly screwed up big time. The first this is to decide on what type of fish you would like to keep. That will determine what size tank you should get and what type of filtration you may need. Most people get a small 10 gallon tank to start, but out grow it very quickly. I would almost recommend a 20 to 30 gallon tank for your first. They aren’t that much harder to maintain and the larger size opens up your fish options.

With any kit your going to need:

Rocks or plants. – since your new stick to plastic plants
Food – depends on what kind of fish you get.
A net
A bucket and some plastic hose for water changes or a Python
Water conditioner – Tetra makes a really good one.
A heater for tropicals – don’t need one for gold fish.
A thermometer
Measuring spoons
A five in one dip strip test kit (ph, hardness, alkalinity, nitrate and nitrite)
An ammonia test kit – reagents with a test tube – most accurate
Some aquarium salt for the initial cleaning – or vinegar.

I can’t think of anything else at this time. Some people say it’s wrong to cycle a tank with fish because the damage is usually permanent. I’ve always cycled with fish, and have usually lost fish in the process. Just remember your fish are going to die for various reasons, that’s a hard fact to take for beginners. Once you get going things start becoming more stable.

There is a lot of information out there on fishless cycling. One thing about cycling is that it’s going to take along time from scratch 5-10 weeks depending on various things. It’s easier if you have access to someone with a cycled tank. There are also additives out there that can speed up the process, not all of them work but Bio-Spira is the best if you can find it.

If you want to get started go get your tank and set it up. Don’t worry about decorations just yet and only put in the gravel. Get the cycle started and start looking for fish.

Here is a list for a 29 gal. (I wish someone had done this for me when I was starting out!)

Essential:
tank - the biggest you can afford or fit in the room
a sturdy stand designed to hold an aquarium
gravel (substrate) - figure one lb per gallon
lid/hood/fluorescent light
power filter - figure at least 5 X tank volume per hour
quality heater - figure 5 W per gallon
thermometer - I prefer the floating glass ones over the stick-ons
dechorinator - get one that removes chlorine AND chloramines
test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH - I prefer liquid tests over strips
food (depends on your kind of fish)

Recommended:
10 gal quarrantine/hospital tank
net
plants (real or fake)
rocks/caves (natural stone or resin)
python or equivalent gravel vac
5 gal bucket
clear UNSCENTED ammonia if you are doing fishless cycling

Optional:
driftwood
ornaments
background
air pump/air stones
test kit for hardness

I also prefer liquid tests to strips.
As far a what fish you want, look through people's galleries and PM them if you have a specific Q. Or, compile a list and start a new thread with your ideas.

Well, I ended up with a 20 gallon because no one around here had 29 gallon tanks. It was 10, 20, 55 and up. I went to several different stores and they all were out. Anyway, I got the 20 gallon tank and am now in the process of setting it up. Am I supposed to wash this thing with anything before hand or just set it up straight out of the box?

What I do with a brand new tank, especially one that size, is to put it in the tub and rinse it out with a handheld sprayer, if you have one, or you could do this outside. I don't use any chemicals on it if it is new - some may use a weak bleach solution, which you can use, but rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse some more. Then fill with heavy dechlorinator, let sit, drain and fill. Whew! I'm exhausted...

OK...I did all of that and have filled it with everything that I bought. I really like the way it looks right now but may add a few more things to it like rocks or something. Here is a picture of what it looks like right now.

tank.jpg

and one of my favorite piece in the tank -

coral.jpg

Wow - you work fast! That looks great - I love the contrast between the black substrate and the plants and decorations.

Your fish should show off very well. You got your ammonia and test kits?

Heh - I had already rinsed it out VERY well and let it sit with the clorinator in it for a while before I posted about getting it...the guy that sold me the tank told me to do that...just didnt know if I should wash it with anything so I played it safe and asked :)

I havent got the test kits yet...going to get those tomorrow or maybe even tonight. I need to get that started pretty fast, huh?

Im thinking seriously about doing a cycle with the fish in and let them add the amonia. I think I want to do a cichlid tank with this one. I am thinking about just going to get a few Electric Yellow Cichlids tomorrow and add them to the tank. Ya think this would be a good idea or not? Im working on a list of fish I want in the tank.

As someone who prefers to fishless cycle I will have to say that I don't think it is a good idea to get the fish right away, but that is just the way I do it.

When you cycle with fish you have to stand over the tank and monitor the toxic ammonia and nitrite very carefully, and do water changes to protect the fish, which IME lengthens the cycle (some disagree). It is so much easier to pour some ammonia in there every day and every few days take a peek at the values - no worries and no water changes. That will give you time to think carefully about the fish you want, as you may learn something that will change your mind.

I see what you are saying...but ya gotta know that Im anxious and itching to get some fish in this tank. :lol: :D

Believe me, I know! I say it all the time - this hobby requires patience - and that is not my long suit, so to speak :?

Looks cool :) I agree with TG about the contrast, though depending on what fish you get (especially chiclids) you'll need more places to hide.

A question: Is that a Whisper filter?
Oh, and if it is, they suck, I'd get a new filter

the only thing I would suggest is adding a background to the tank so you dont see the stuff behind it and so the fish feel more secure... it's looking nice :)

Back
Top Bottom