Young beginner with lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrpod

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a twelve year old girl, and despite my age, I believe I am responsible enough to maintain the aquarium I received for Christmas. I have done lots of research, and think I understand most of the basics, but I have a couple of questions. First of all, what is an easy quick cycling method? Also, what are some good stocking combos for a 29 gallon tank? I would prefer some fish that are either colorful, or have personality. Any other helpful info would be great too!

First of all Welcome to the forum!

I cycled my 29 gallon tank with a fishless cycle using 10% pure ammonia as my ammonia source. I used seeded material and it took me 11 days, others have had it take longer. For colorful fish you could go with cardinal tetras, platies (1 male:3 females), or guppies. All of these stay small, and you can have a lot of them. I have 20 neon tetras (cousin to cardinal tetra) in my 29 gal right now. When they all get together and shoal up it is an amazing against the dark background and substrate.

There are lots of helpful people on here who can answer just about any question...i have had alot in the past few months so I know this for a fact!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with all of what fish wrangler said, fish less cycling is the way to go. I also started young, about 2-3 years ago, about your same age too. For starters, I would go with guppies, platies, tetras, or some barbs for color. Bettas and Cory catfish have great personalities. Bettas are very interactive, and cories are very funny and entertaining to watch, especially in a school of 6+. Some barbs can be nippy, so research before you buy! This applies with all aquarium fish.

If you have no access to seeded material, i would suggest dr tims one and only....but dont be fooled...it may still take a couple weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with all of what fish wrangler said, fish less cycling is the way to go. I also started young, about 2-3 years ago, about your same age too. For starters, I would go with guppies, platies, tetras, or some barbs for color. Bettas and Cory catfish have great personalities. Bettas are very interactive, and cories are very funny and entertaining to watch, especially in a school of 6+. Some barbs can be nippy, so research before you buy! This applies with all aquarium fish.

I can't stress research enough. Don't end ip like I did woth 3 rainbow sharks, 1 common pleco, 5 neon tetras, 5 rosy barbs in a 29 gallon tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest some neon dwarf/praecox rainbowfish. Rainbows are very active and colorful, but most other species would grow too large for that size tank.

You could also do a school of furcata, Gertrude's, or Threadfin rainbowfish, all which stay tiny.

#rainbowfish

Welcome rrpod.
Glad to have a new young fish keeper on board and so nice to see you have researched cycling and want to set up your tank properly. It can take a while unless you have some used filter media (seeded) from another tank or a friends tank. But you will be rewarded by having healthy fish once the tank is ready.
Best of luck with your new hobby. Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great that you did your research. I have guppies in my 10gal, they are colorful and zip around the tank all day. They have lots of personality. I also have a dwarf gourami in there, and he kinda reminds me of a big dog, happy doing his own thing and watching the guppies. I don't have any, but I've heard that (pygmy?) cory catfish are fun to watch, they are little worker bees.
Good luck, let us know what you decide!

I am a twelve year old girl, and despite my age, I believe I am responsible enough to maintain the aquarium I received for Christmas. I have done lots of research, and think I understand most of the basics, but I have a couple of questions. First of all, what is an easy quick cycling method? Also, what are some good stocking combos for a 29 gallon tank? I would prefer some fish that are either colorful, or have personality. Any other helpful info would be great too!

Hey there! I agree corydoras are awesome busy fish and whatever kind you get you will be happy with. I have several different kinds and I just love them. I agree always research but it sounds like you knew that. Good luck and don't be afraid to post any questions you may have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does anyone know if yoyo loaches are good for beginners? Also what are some good smaller plecos? And what do I do with the fish during water changes? I know I have a lot of questions but please try to help me.

If you have no access to seeded material, i would suggest dr tims one and only....but dont be fooled...it may still take a couple weeks

I've used Dr. Tim's and agree that it works. I was able to cycle my tank in a week and a half. So two weeks or so is what you can expect. If you go that route, be sure to get a bottle of ammonium chloride solution as well. Really cheap (~$3) and much easier to work with than the concentrated ammonia solutions that people buy from the hardware stores.

Yoyos will get too big for a 29. I'd look to do Zebras or Kuhlis instead.

Pleco options: Clown, Bulldog/Rubberlip, and Zebra ($) will fit. Bristlenose may or may not be too small. I feel like I'm missing a species or two.

Thanks! I read somewhere that yoyo loaches were great in a 29 but I wasn't sure. Do you think I could have a loach and a pleco?

Welcome to the hobby! I started last year and I love it! I'm your age to and I already have 3 tanks now, a 16, 10 and 2.5. If your looking for a fish with big personality, look into dwarf puffers. They are amazing and aren't too hard to look after, they just need good water quality. To fill a big tank like that, I would do a school of a single species of Cory, probably Julii, and then probably a group of Kuhli Loaches, and as for dwarf puffers, they aren't really community fish but if they are in a group and have enough space they will be happy enough and not mean fin nippy fish. Just what I would do. Have fun with your tank!

Thanks! I read somewhere that yoyo loaches were great in a 29 but I wasn't sure. Do you think I could have a loach and a pleco?

Yoyos can get to 5" long and need to be kept in groups of 5+. I'd do Zebras or Dwarf Chains instead.

You could do Dwarf Chains and a pleco, but those are all (mostly) bottom-dwellers. Get some more mid/top-dwelling fish.

and as for dwarf puffers, they aren't really community fish but if they are in a group and have enough space they will be happy enough and not mean fin nippy fish.

I would not do a dwarf puffer in any community tank.

Hey man, if you want color, go for rainbows. Bleheri look pretty cool, along with every other species.
I would also do angels, 2 is good and maybe a couple of corydoras

I know I'm constantly updating my "fish list" but here's another idea I had. Tell me if you think it would work or not.

Platies

Swordtails

Zebra danios

Honey gouramis

Bristlenose, rubberlipped, or clown pleco

Maybe a Cory cat

Some guppies

Back
Top Bottom