Zabra Danio Fry in a cycling tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orickx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank up & running for ten days now. Have been cycling with five Zebra Danios, while doing my 25% PWC today, I spot a microscopic fish, which could only be a Zebra Danio.

Is this common? How many do they usually have?

I only spot one, where could the rest be hiding? I have a lot of live plants in my tank.

Are the other Zebras eating the other fry since I can only spot one?

Do you think this Zebra was already pregnant when I got the 5 Danios or did they spawn here in the last ten days?

Zebra Danios

I've had my tank up & running for ten days now. Have been cycling with five Zebra Danios, while doing my 25% PWC today, I spot a microscopic fish, which could only be a Zebra Danio.

Is this common? How many do they usually have?

I only spot one, where could the rest be hiding? I have a lot of live plants in my tank.

Are the other Zebras eating the other fry since I can only spot one?

Do you think this Zebra was already pregnant when I got the 5 Danios or did they spawn here in the last ten days?

Hello o...

Amazing, to say the least! A cycling tank isn't the best environment for breeding, since you have such unstable water properties. But, the flush of pure water from a water change may have signaled good water conditions and the eggs could have hatched. Nothing is impossible in nature.

I'm not an expert on egglayers very much. I keep Corydoras , but mostly Fancy Guppies. If the fry survive, it will be an incentive to keep close tabs on the water. Test daily and stick to the routine of changing out 25 to 30 percent of the tank water if you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite.

Get as many live plants into the tank as possible. The more, the better the environment.

B

I have a bunch of live plants. I've seen two fry thus far (one hiding by the suction cup of the thermometer & one hiding in one of the black corners of the fish tank).

Perhaps there are more in the plants that I can't see.

Fry in a Cycling Tank

Hello again o...

I would get some frozen food for your fish. Brine and mysis shrimp are very nutritious. You should chop the cubes into smaller pieces, so the fry aren't trying to nibble on larger chunks. The food will break up as the cubes melt, so all the fish will get a little to eat.

B

Back
Top Bottom