Zebra Danios and a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuomiBetta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm in the process of fishless cycling and I was thinking of having a small group of Zebra Danios to help cycle the tank since they're extremely hardy (maybe about 3 or 4) but after the cycle can the Danios be tankmates with the Betta? I know they're fast enough to escape a grouchy Betta but I would like some other opinions. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is a 5 gallon with a tetra whisper 10i internal filter and a hydor 25w heater and a bubbling dragon

According to Aq Advisor it would be overstocked and not recommended. Having a betta in a 5g limits your options for tankmates. You might want to consider a nerite snail or adf after your tank cycles.

Then I shall skip the Danios altogether since I don't have another tank for them

5 is much to small for danios because of their activity level

Fishobsessed7

I did have an inkling that would be the case. I'm probably going to cycle with some Panda Corys instead. (Provided my research coincides with what my lfs told me) my only issue with shrimp is that I have a hard time seeing them. I like to be able to see my tank critters to make sure they're okay :)

I wouldn't do the pandas either. What kind of shrimp were you thinking of.

Fishobsessed7

Aside from the 5 gallon being to small for the danios, I usually don't recommend adding any fish with fancy tails with a beta in less than a 30 gallon tank! They will constantly be nipped by the betta

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You would be better off getting pure ammonia to help cycle rather than fish. Other than your betta, you don't have much room for anything else besides some inverts (shrimp or snails).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the idea of a snail to keep things clean. I just worry about how fish medication affects them and how to keep them healthy.

Back
Top Bottom