1 out of 6 Clowns doesn't look good in my QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had 6 Oscelaris Clowns in QT for about 2 weeks now. They all look great with the exception of one. His coloration looks faded and the edges of his fins look a little jagged. He seems to hang out towards the top of the tank and his swimming is not very deliberate. Also, he is being picked on by his tank mates.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Should I bring him back to the LFS?
Should I start my QT timeclock over?

Thanks,
Pete R.

I believe the problem is all due to it being picked on. Quarantine tanks are usually not that large and most likely this is your problem.

Do some water changes to help reduce the organics. It will help the torn fins heal faster. Also be sure your keeping an eye out for visible signs of parasite activity. Faded color could easily be from stress but is also an indicator of a larger problem.

How is the QT set up?

FWIW, You would have had much better luck QT'ing these guys in smaller number, 2-3 at a time. If you've done this in hopes they will group, I seriously doubt that will happen. With a 450 gal main you will have no issues with territory though.

Are they WC or TR?

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
How is the QT set up?

FWIW, You would have had much better luck QT'ing these guys in smaller number, 2-3 at a time. If you've done this in hopes they will group, I seriously doubt that will happen. With a 450 gal main you will have no issues with territory though.

Are they WC or TR?

Cheers
Steve

QT: Using a Whisper filter, no substrate, I established foam in main's bioballs ahead of time, starting hyposalinity (waiting for refractometer).

TR

Thanks,
Pete R.

Be sure the QT has various "claimable" territories where fish can hide. Clowns tend to hug/swim near objects as a means of safety. If the tank is too open there could be territorial issues, especially if there are two females.

Also, once you start the hypo process, be absolutley sure you watch the alk/pH as the salinity drops. Test twice daily in the beginning (preferabley 2xdaily throughout the process) and at least daily thereafter. Diluting the salinity also dilutes the chemistry.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:

Cheers
Steve

I removed the faded guy that was being picked on and the remaining 5 seem to hang out with each other. I do not know if you consider that "grouping". Maybe I got lucky. My original reason for getting 6 was because my LFS had the best price for 6.

Thanks,
Pete R.

Back
Top Bottom