2 Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Eeks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I've got a pic of some clowns I'm going to show you, I'l leave it as a link so it take full advantage of the resolution. Anyhow they are a mated pair of clowns I think I've had about 7-8 months? Hard to recall but a while anyway. Other tank inhabitants include a sand sifting seastar (since Dec/Jan), a fire shrimp who I have in there about a month maybe little longer, along with 4 Nas. snails. There is also a dragon goby been living in the tank 3ish weeks about a 3-4 week QT. All appear to be thriving, lots of activity from the critters however shy they may be, only guys don't seem to be shy is the goby and the clowns. The seastar I see quite often as well. Nobody appears to be exhibiting any abnormal behaviors, most recent tests are NO3: 5-10, and PO4: nil-0.25 (kind of inbetween the two colors).
The question is over the past several days I've kinda noticed a bit of a white spot the clowns lips. Nowhere else on the body. They are quite active. no changes in appetite, no fighting (that I have seen with tank mates). I do notice sometimes they pick on each other. Wrote it off as nothing. Just wonder if these are cuts on their lips from fighting/rocks or something I should maybe be more concerned about.

TL: DR; OP has 2 clowns with white lips what is it?

http://i.imgur.com/3KyOU8M.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/MGeXEn8.jpg

Thanks guys!

Woke up to the first dead fish in my tank ever this morning, my bigger of the two clowns. All other inhabitants seem fine, moving about. I had fed them last night, and they ate fine, she was active last night, moving about the tank, didn't appear to be swimming awkwardly. Scooped out a bottle full of water to take to the LFS, but won't be able to do it until tomorrow morning as I am in class all day today.

It was just pointed out to me by a friend and aquarium enthusiast (I'm a little slow this morning without my coffee). I named this particular clown Coral, Nemo's mother....Nemo's mom died too.... lightens the mood a little

I ran a jug full of my water (pre-change after the death) to my LFS today, he said it's basically as pristine as one can get it, the only think that is above NIL is trates and even that he said it is not higher than 5ppm. Not sure what could have caused it, but none of my other critters are affected by anything so, he said maybe she just cut herself and whatever happened from there who knows.
I really like how two clownfish interact together, and I know everything says only if they are a mated pair can they be added to your tank, has anyone ever paired two clowns that have not always been together? I would like another clown but not at the expense of lots of fighting, ect.

So lately the dragon goby (aka brownbarred goby) I have has been what I feel as overly shy. When I first got him he was shy and would hide when you come up to the aquarium, but would otherwise being sifting the sandbed almost constantly it seemed. But the past couple days he was been hiding amongst the rockwork, usually it the same spot but I have on occasion noticed him in one other area. Did he maybe run out of food and I should be feeding him something? Usually when I feed the one clown I got devours everything very quickly, and I don't feed very much. Should I get a sinking food? No other signs of being sick, he just is always hiding and I don't think he is sifting either at all or nearly as much as he had been.

Also THIS is what I feed. Usually 3-4 days on, one day off, trying to be within an hour or two of the same time everyday and I just take a cube out, pop it into a shot glass, and spoon out about 3 of the little worm shapes the food is pressed into, then saran wrap the glass and put it in the fridge for the next day.

You can add another clown, do you know if yours is the female or male? You should get the opposite of what you have if you know. If you dont, get one that is either markedly bigger or smaller than the one you have. :)

Yes the clown that died was the bigger of the two, and I got one that is about the same size as the one that died, so noticeably larger.
Any tips to entice a dragon goby (aka sleeper goby), he doesn't seem as interested in sifting my sand and the clown I have races to the top for food so there isn't any that floats to the bottom? Could I clip some dried seaweed near the bottom for him to nibble? He moves about the tank but mostly between 3 different hiding spots. Where as before he was constantly tossing up the sand bed. Nobody seems to be aggressive towards him so I don't think the tankmates are the cause of his shyness.
Thoughts on the goby?
Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom