2 quick questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two quick questions... I had nitrates this morning for the first time in ages... Is that just the tank adjusting to it's first fish?? Or could it be from all the bubbles the Aqua C is dumping into my tank?? Or could it be the 404 needs to be cleaned out?? Also I have this Flame Angel now and I am finding it could be a problem with coral, Well I was doing a little bit of research on coral and found that a leather coral has a little toxin that will make the fish a little sick if it nips at it.. It's kinda its defense system..Well if I forgo the bubble coral I wanted to start with and went with a leather would mabye this let the fish know off the bat nipping coarl makes me sick I won't nip this anymore or any new ones or do fish not think like that?? It's not gonna happen soon but just trying to plan some ways to avoid problems and hold onto this fish that I really have gotten to like..

Doan

Do you have filter media in that 404 or bioballs etc... If so it could be a source of nitrates. Since you have LR in the tank I would just remove the media and use the filter as another source of water movement. The media collects biological materia and the bacteria in it break things down to nitrates which are dangerous to inverts.

As far as the flame angel goes, I am clueless. Never had one. However on the Ates: I thought you were losing the 404. If i had to wager, my bet is on the fluval as the culprit, not the fish. What was the level? I would at the very least clean it out well if you are going to keep it, as the rock and sand should have sufficient bacteria to support your bio-load. And guess what? BINGO, a water change. Depending on the level of ates 10% to 20% sould work out.

HTH
R-

Yeah... The problem with losing it is that I really don't have the $120 to plop down on new rock.. It was recommended that I buy 15 to 20lbs more and also my tank is doing real well thanks to you guys, better than I thought some guy who never even owned a goldfish could do this soon I am real scared about touching anything.. But I will give it an early water change.. Normally I save that for Sundays while watching football but I will do one tonight and clean out the media.. the lvl was 12.5 which is the lowest on the kit other than 0 so it's not like it's super high yet but I wanna make sure I keep it in check.. Thanks for the help guys..

Doan

hmmmm could someone just point me too some info on how the LR/AQUAC do the same thing as the Fluval?? If I could just read up and gather some info I will feel better about ditching the media tonight.. I hate to do things without knowing why not that I am questioning anything you guys are telling me your the pros .. but its just me I need to feel like I understand why I am doing things to the tank so I can learn and not just say down the road ... I got some adivce to take the 404 off and it worked great but I have no idea why or how it worked better... I really am just trying to learn.

Thanks

Doan

NitrAtes are nothing really to worry about unless they get to levels like 50+. NitrItes on the other hand should be consitered just as toxic as ammonia.

Well FF, I think Doaner wants to start adding corals soon so keeping nitrates lower and in check now will be his best bet. Better to err on the safer side. The LR and sand build up bacteria colonies that take take care of ammonia and begin the nitrogen cycle. (biological filtration) And the AquaC removes DOC s and separates "gunk" in the water to collect in the cup. (mechanical filtration). The fluval is designed to do both, build bacteria on media and catch "gunk" from the water. The nitrates come in when the "gunk" isn't removed continually like in the Aqua C. This is the most basic description I can come up with. HTH

But as FF said, (didn't know what the level's were) it's really not that high. Plus you weren't getting any on another test. Not too much to worry about. I think you have adequate LR for your bio-load. Just be sure if you add LR in the future that it is fully cured. You can always cure rock in a separate tank or tub if you buy more uncured.

R-

And don't just pull all the media out of the Fluval at once. That could cause an adverse reaction also. Do it over a period of weeks so the tank can adjust or you may cause a mini cycle.

Reefnewb is right I do fancy a piece of bubble coral at the good fish store about an hour from my house.. Also could you please elaborate on a schedule for pulling out the media.. It is only by luck I checked this when I walked in as I came home with every intention of just emptying the whole thing but at the last moment thought I* would check the thread to see if there was any more info and good thing 8) that could have been a problem.

Thanks

Doan

don't worry about the bubble coral, its extremely resistant, but i think the bubble and the elegance are the only ones like this. good luck

Can't really elaborate because your tank is going to be different than mine. I took out one media basket of 'stuff' and tested after a couple of days, if all was well then I took another and emptied it. You'll just have to watch the chemistry of the tank for spikes.

ok... Uhhh I also thought that I read elegance were pretty much unkeepable in the home aquarium.. Mabye I got that confused in the last few months reading and learning everything I can I may be mixed up but I thought I read that elegance corals were still pretty much a mystery to hobbeists. I thougth it was only a matter of time till they died time being a few weeks... They have one at the good LFS where the bubble coral is and it is awsome but I figured that that was forever just a lust object... Like Jennifer Love Hewitt.... Can they be kept by regular joes??

Thanks

Doan

Back
Top Bottom