acceptable level of ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zero. ammonia is deadly toxic to fish and inverts. Especially in a Q-tank, where you've got sick fish, ammonia should be 0ppm.

If I had to pick a higher number to say "as long as it doesn't go over this amount, the fish should be relatively safe", I'd probably go with 0.5ppm.

If I had to pick a higher number to say "as long as it doesn't go over this amount, the fish should be relatively safe", I'd probably go with 0.5ppm.
yeah that is what i was looking for.
current level is 0.25ppm, i do not wish to do unnecessary water changes to keep it low.

Depends on the PH, if PH is below 8.0 then the ammonia will be nontoxic up to 1.5, but if its over 8.0 then it is very toxic. With a lower PH the ammonia is ionized and therefore less toxic.

Depends on the PH, if PH is below 8.0 then the ammonia will be nontoxic up to 1.5, but if its over 8.0 then it is very toxic.
dude that is enlightening!!! where did you pick up that info?

wait this info is blowing my mind. by doing a water change to lower ammonia, one could actually do more harm if the water change raises the ph (which more than likely it will). unless you do a 100% change. 8O

For marine life, 8.3. LOL. But during Hypo, the PH tends to drop and this is usually okay for fishs.

Lemme grab the ammonia info and quote it, "The presence of ammonia in aquariums can be a source of many problems. Generally, the amount of ammonia should not exceed 1.2 mg/L. Levels up to 1.2 mg/L in very alkaline water (above 8.0 pH) are quite toxic to aquatic organisms."

Ammonia can be present in two forms. Ammonia NH3, which is a toxic gas, and ionic ammonium NH4+, which is much less deadly. The pH of the water is the major factor that determines the ratio of NH3 and NH4+. When the pH is high, the ammonia is in its toxic form. Toxic ammonia will increase exponentially with increasing pH levels and temperature. A pH value of over 8.0 causes a corresponding rapid increae in the toxic ammonia component." - Hagen Ammonia Test.

Woops, its 1.2 mg/L.

Back
Top Bottom