Acropora with poor polyp extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I got this mystery acropora about 1.5 months ago. Not sure what kind it is, but its purple with green polyps. Has a very large base and several spikey growths. Looks alot like the purple bonsai acroporas I have seen online.

Anyways, it seems to NEVER have its polyps out much. The only way I see them is with actinic light causing them to glow. My other acroporas all show their polyps. Any ideas whats wrong with it? Should I try putting it down on the bottom of the tank? Its up at the top right now under T5 lights.

Thanks!
Matt

How much flow is it getting where you have it? Try moving it - if it's currently in a high flow area, move it to somewhere with less flow, or vice-versa.

I agree with the above.
Please post all the water parameters.
What is is lighting system (make/model) and how old are the T5 bulbs.

Is anything else near this sps? Any lps or other corals that might be stinging it?

Hello,
Tank size: 20g
Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (questionable) Brown whispy algea present
Phosphate: 0 (questionable)
dKH: 9-10
Calcium: 500ppm
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78F
Placement is at the top, right under two koralia powerheads (a koralia 1 and a koralia 2) pointed to the surface opposing each other. A few other SPS nearby at the top with it. No potential stingers, but there are mushrooms, zoas, and various LPS in the tank.
Lighting is from a 24in 96W (4 bulb) T5 Current USA Sundial with 2-wavepoint blue bulbs, 1-URI aquasun, and 1-wavepoint 12000k bulb. These are all about 5-6months old. They are all being replaced by ATI bulbs (2-aquablue and 2-blue plus).

I moved the coral down to the lower portion of the tank.
I am running Clearmax (GFO) in my Fluval 305 as well as some carbon. There is also a small mass of chaeto in the tank that has the output of the fluval 305 blasting it and a CFL bulb above the chaeto to light it.

Polyp extension has been very minimal since I brought it home, yet the others seem to have their polyps out 24 hours a day.:confused:

Not sure what kind this is. I am betting its not bonsai after looking that up and seeing the prices! I paid $20 for this one from my LFS. Much larger than the $90 frags I see online, so I am guessing its some other purple acropora with green polyps.

Thanks!
Matt

Back
Top Bottom