Add Buffer???? Now what????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFLGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all,

I just took my water down to the lfs and she said everything looks good but I need to add a teaspoon of buffer for every 20 gallons. Ok, that sounds good.

When I picked up the tank from my friend, he gave me all these bottles of chemicals. Well, when I got home, I realized that I had a few different bottles of stuff that all say buffer.

Here's what I have. What do I use and if you can explain why I am using it, that would be great!

-Tech CB - Part A (liquid)
-Tech CB - Part B (liquid)
-Probuffer DKH (liquid)
-Superbuffer DKH (powder form)

Thanks everyone!

MrFLGuy said:
BTW - The tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks now.
Since this is a new tank, I would leave off any chem additions until it's done cycling unless your having serious issues with the chem and using uncured LR. I would definately not recommend 1 tspn of buffer per 20 gal. That would raise your alkalinity (and pH) too quickly. One tspn/40 gal would be better (at least until you know what the reaction will be). You can always add more after a few hours and the chem has stabalized some. Heavy buffer additions should also be done in the early AM.

To answer your question directly, the best one to use for only alkalinity would be either the probuffer or superDKH. The Tech AB is a balanced liq additive that should only be used to maintain/raise both alk/Ca in the same ratio's.

How are you cycling the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks!

For now, I have about 25 pounds of live rock and 45 pounds of base rock. I also have about 20 pounds of live sand mixed in with about 20 pounds of "not live yet" sand. I am in no hurry so I have time to let everything spread.

When will I know when the tank is done cycling? I mean, everything tested OK.

Thanks again!

Forgot to mention, the tank is just under 120 gallons. I know that is not a lot of live rock for that size but I don't want too much space occupied by the rock but I will be adding a little more later.

MrFLGuy said:
When will I know when the tank is done cycling? I mean, everything tested OK.
It can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to cycle a tank depending on how it's done. Once the ammonia and nitrite are zero and remain so, the tank is technically cycled. Once that is achieved, doing a large (up to 50%) water change will bring the chem and trace elements back into line. Alk/pH and other chems within the system will yo-yo quite a bit when a tank is cycling and is generally nothing to worry about. Unless as I said, you are using uncured LR.

Forgot to mention, the tank is just under 120 gallons. I know that is not a lot of live rock for that size but I don't want too much space occupied by the rock but I will be adding a little more later.
The more rock the better but if you do decide on more at a later date, be sure it is cured seperately before adding to the tank. It will recycle the tank otherwise.

Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom