After Quarantine.... main tank concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlynch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I have had a blue tang for around 3 months now. He developed some spots on him around a month and a half ago.. It didn't look like ich.. in fact, I wasn't quite sure what exactly the spots were, because the fish ate at first with the spots, then lost ALOT of color and weight, and looked like it had some ulcers on it.. i read alot on this web page and some other literature and i think he had velvet and possibly a bacterial infection as well...

SO,

Put him in QT, doped him up with Maracyn, Maracyn 2, and Coppersafe. QT'd him for a total of 4 wks, and during the first week the spots first got worse then after a week, disappeared. His physical appearance and color got alot better (like 100% better), and he began eating. I kept him in QT for a remaining 3 wks. He never started swimming around the middle/top areas of the tank - just the lower portion.

Well, i thought this inactivity was possibly due to isolation and bordom, but i introduced him to the main tank yesterday and he is still just resting (upright, not on his side) on the bottom of the tank behind some rock. I can see him, and he is breathing and his physical apperance looks great, but hes not swimming at all.

Any suggestions? should i try to take him back out or just let him chill there a while? I don't want to upset him, but i don't want him to die or infect my other fish if he is still sick. This is the first fish i have qt'd that was sick that lived through qt, so im not sure what the norm is after they get reintroduced into the tank.

Thanks

Well, several things.
Are there any fish that were left in the main during this treatment period? If it truly was velvet, they would have become infected as well.
What was your acclimation process? Is he eating?
IMO, don't move him right now, that would just stress him further. Keep the water quality high and observe. It may just be stress.
Keep us posted.

Yes, there are other fish that stayed in the main tank. No other fish got infected with anything, so it might not have been velvet.. The other fish are kind of my concern.. my kole eye tang (the leader of the tank 8)) and foxface are harassing him a little bit... putting him through initiation again

I drip acclimated him back to the tank for around an hour or maybe a little longer.

When i fed the tank today he did get a little active and i think he got some food, but no where near how he used to eat. He will not go to the seaweed clamp, though, which is where he stayed before he got sick.

Since i last posted he has moved a little bit, but for the most part I think it is due to the other fish bullying him..

Back
Top Bottom