Aiptasia???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I might be having my first experience with aiptasia :(. It is attached to the skeleton of a meat coral, just at the sand line (coral is on the bottom). I have had this coral about 6 weeks, and just this morning happened to walk by and see this little bugger sticking out of the sand. It has a stalk to it and retracts fully into the coral skeleton when touched. So...is this aiptasia? Is there a way to kill this one without harming the coral? What are the odds there's only one? And should I implement a tank-wide treatment now or only if I see more? And what has been the best treatment in your experience - nudibranchs, chemicals, etc?
Thank you very much for your help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 135
Yes, its aptasia, and there is no tank-wide treatment for it.
You could scrape away some of the skeleton that the aptasia is attached to, or you could put some kalkwasser paste on it, a glob of crazy glue gel over it, inject it with something acidic like lemon juice or maybe vinegar, or you could buy something like "aptasia-x" or "joes juice"...

Great, thanks! I think with the location crazy glue might work well - I'll give it a go.

We had a huge outbreak of aptasia. Now we have none. 4 Caribbean peppermint shrimp ate them all in two nights.

Back
Top Bottom