Algae Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry it's not a 75G it is a 29G but we have a 75G in the works!

It looks like theres still some dino algae in the tank but VERY little. Might black out the tank for another day or two? Or just keep at it with the tooth brush and siphoning.

img_3238647_0_698c6c1daa72d04c260a894bcdd0f8d1.jpg

img_3238647_1_f6892659efdc47981d8b7935fa0d1f77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

On your 75g tank you may want to consider investing on GFO and UV sterlizer plus cleaning crew for algae control.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am actually looking into DIY algae scrubber as my next project on tank improvement.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On the 75G we will be running a lot more. This 29G was just supposed to be for my clowns but I ended up with a few more fish and am getting some new corals next week as well. So I figured since I was putting money into corals I'd put money into the skimmer and reactors as well lol.

I'm going to stock up on my CUC on the 29G but I never know what to get lol. Not to mention the 75G yet lol.

The battle rages on... I uncovered it for a day and realized after a few hours there were a few spots of the Dino characteristic bubbly algae so I covered it back for another day in hopes of killing the last of it. I'm on day two of it being uncovered and it looks like it's coming back. The blackout helped but clearly didn't eliminate it. Here's my questions.

Should I try a longer blackout period (I did 3.5-4 days the first time) because it seemed like it helped a lot just not enough and possibly rush to get the 75G up and put the corals in there temporarily?

OR

Should I try another removal method?

I'm trying for a permanent solution to getting rid of this specific algae as I would rather not just clean it out daily (I will if I have to of course) because it is growing over and around my corals and they're not coming out anymore like they used to.

Still fighting... It's coming back but I'm trying to siphon it out. Might try to raise the ph but I have no experience doing that and am worried about how the fish and corals would be with that. Brushing off any I see and letting the filter grab it and I'm pulling it out with a net and changing the floss out daily. Doing another water change in the morning. Worried that I'm going to be fighting this forever.

Edit: I think I am going to try to use Seachem Marine Buffer in combination of reduced lighting and aggressive siphoning over the next few days and then I think I will do another couple days of blackout. I'm running my lights right now at 10 hours. I'm thinking of reducing this to only a few hours a day or just running actinics. Thoughts?

dinoflagellates took me about a good 6 months or so to get rid of. I did the manual removal with water changes. Unfortunately, no crab or snail will eat this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom