Algae plague

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maurice2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Inexplicable algae: 8 month-old 500-litre tank, sump and protein skimmer. Water is crystal-clear. I've just measured Ph 8.0 (I've added a bit of buffer to get back to 8.2), NO2 0.05, No3 0, NH4 0, PO4 0, Ca 320ppm.

Fish are lively and in perfect health, I feed them a varied diet every other day and the protoreaster gets a mussel once a week.

The skimmer bubbles out about 50cc (a small coffeee cup) of black water a day.

BUT over the last 2 months I'm getting ever-increasing algae (green, brown and cyano on the sand). I've siphoned, stirred, prayed, to no avail.

Any ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated.

here is another how old are the bulbs , frequency of feeding , what are you feeding .

I agree with the rest, I would probably look into getting new bulbs. Once they start fading, some around 6 months, the spectrum of light changes, allowing that nasty stuff to flourish. Make sure you have good water flow, and are not feeding more than they can eat in about 3 minutes. Remember flakes are great phosphate feeders, frozen can be as well, just rinse the frozen and drain. I tend to think, the lights might be the culprit, since this is the first bloom you have had in 8 months....

Back
Top Bottom