All Fish Died after water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would it contaminate my other tanks? they are not linked??? I am drying you the live rock then running out to grab a molly will let you all know how it goes. thanks.

luv4tigger25 said:
How would it contaminate my other tanks? they are not linked??? I am drying you the live rock then running out to grab a molly will let you all know how it goes. thanks.

luv4tigger25 said:
How would it contaminate my other tanks???

Since you think it got contaiminated while doing you pwc...i take it you have done pwc on your other tanks... somthing that would kill all your fish that fast has to be strong enough to remain on all the equipment u use to do other pwc....

you say your water test results are all good,can you post all of them.also when you did the 25% pwc did you do the water change on your other tanks with the same mix or did you mix more up?

I bet its that cycle boost imho and experince they don't work i bet they are giving u false readings on your levels.

No i did just a water change that day on the 55 gal. My daughter spilled juice on her outfit and i put her clothing in the sink with about a 1/4 cup bleach. i think when i was helping her and then went down stairs i thin i might have some how contaminated my tank. i poured the bleach in a cup and into the sink. i didnt touch with my hands but i was thinking maybe somehow i got it on my hands not knowing it and then after going to finish my water change i got something in the tank. that night all fish died. My ? was after re starting the tank i put the live rock back in i power washed with very hot water.?. that was the only thing i placed back in the tank every thing else was new. But after 2 weeks i added a fish he died that night??? could the live rock be contaminated and if so how to disinfect it was told to let it dry out..

Your first mistake here and it is a big one! NEVER wash live rock in hot water! You should never need to wash the rock at all. If you do need to remove contaminant from your rock it should be done in a container of saltwater. Live rock is called live rock because it gives the essential bacteria somewhere to live (NEVER EVER EVER DISINFECT ANYTHING in a marine aquarium) as well as any small crabs, and a whole list of other critters. Washing your rock in hot or cold fresh water compounds your initial problem!
Never wash your sand and never wash your rock!
Marine Aquariums are not like a goldfish bowl where you can wash everything!
Even in the event such as what you have had. What you should have done is remove the dead animals, increase aeration leave it over 24 hours (yes I know it stinks) do a 50% water change after 24 hours wait for a few hours and test ammonia, and nitrites if these figures are 0 or close to then you can remove the aeration set up back to normal(otherwise leave it until this happens). Last test nitrate should have a high reading if the cycle has completed unless you have a deep sand bed however a reading above 0 should still be present. Now over a couple of days do 25% water changes until ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are all at or close to 0.
Leave it for a week testing regularly before adding any fish. Treat it as a new aquarium From this point on only add one to two damsels wait at least a month before adding any other fish and only 1-2 at a time allowing a couple of weeks in between.
Don't use additives to Speed up the cycling process it will occur naturally WITHOUT adding anything. (be patient otherwise it will cost you a **** load of money and you won't get anywhere)
The only additives that you should add since you are making salt water is essential elements calcium etc.

Back
Top Bottom