anemone...dead, alive or dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hope that this is enough info.

We have a 92 gallon reef tank with live rock and live sand. It is very new (less than month old) and has only a few creatures in it, two chromis, two clowns (added yesterday) and a bubble anemone. (Yes, I know that we shouldn't have added anemone this soon, impatient husband did this, so don't shoot the messenger, please!) There are also a couple of critters that came with the live rock/sand, a hermit crab, a small snail and a small starfish.

We added the anemone a week ago. He would not stay where put (didn't know that those guys moved!) and put himself under a rock. He seemed okay there at first, good color, etc. On Thurs/Fri he pulled himself completely under the rock. Then his color started to fade significantly. Last night he was very pale, almost white, and shriveled. His mouth was wide open and very white. I thought he was dead. This morning he has color again, is not shriveled (but not as full looking as before) his mouth is closed. We turned the rock over after noticing that he had some life in him in order for him to have some light. He hasn't moved from this position (yet).

We did not quarantine him. We have not put any meds into the tank.

It is a 92 gallon, we just started a refugium tank yesterday for filtration. Before that we had bio balls. The lighting on the tank is one of those three light coralites (high, medium and moonlight).

Husband tested the water last night and said it was all "good", I didn't ask him for the numbers so I don't know what they are. I can do the tests again if needed.

Thanks,
Kimberly

Whether the anemone is intoduced too soon or not, there is an adjustment period. It's common for them to move around seeking a suitable area. However, they need to eventually settle or they die. Two weeks seems to be a typical acclimation/adjustment period for things introduced into a system, new or not.

The color fade is because of it tucking in the rocks for long periods of time. It happens when they don't receive the light they require. Sounds like you have the right lighting, but just for information purposes, how many watts of lighting are fitted on the tank?

Light produces zooanthellae algae in the anemone's tissues. This gives them their color. The anemone utilizes the zooanthellae algae to produce sugar, which is essencial for an active metabolism.

The most you can do is wait and observe. If and when the anemone's mouth looks like it has turned inside out and it's stomach contents exposed, then that's the point of no return. Also if it becomes slimy. At that point, toss it.

The light is the Coralife Deluxe Series, double linear strip with two lunal blue moon glow LED lamps. It is 192 watt (2 96 watt lamps).

About how long should the lights be on each day? We have a three light timer.

Thanks,
Kimberly

You don't have enough light. A 92 gallon reef should have at least 3 watts per gallon. 192 total wattage gives 2.08 watts per gallon. You want at least 276 watts total. That will give 3 watts per gallon, though 4 to 5 watts per gallon is more preferred. It will die without the proper lighting.

Lights on for about 10 hours a day.

the watts per gallon theory is kinda both ways especially for BTA.
Iwill say your anemone has been stressed out.
My BTA sometimes like to run under a rock so it can hide away from my MH.
But I do agree if you want anemone to be healthy you need very strong lighting and if you want it settle as bubble shape u might even need MH.
When an anemone opened his mouth even inside out , it could be the sudden change of water quality or when you introduced it into your tank , the movement might stress it.Hope your anemone can make it thru...

My BTA sometimes like to run under a rock so it can hide away from my MH.

I doubt the BTA is hiding from the MH and MH are not required to give them their bulb shape. I've seen many anemones in tanks without MH to know that.

Other than stress, anemones tuck in to digest and sleep. I've also seen anemones tuck in to get away from bully clowns. That happened in my friend's tank. He had a Clarkii that was so aggressive, her anemone ran away into the rocks until the clown was removed from the tank...lol.

Would it be normal for the anemone to "tuck in" every night and come out after the lights have been on for a bit in the daytime?

Thanks again,
Kimberly

Would it be normal for the anemone to "tuck in" every night and come out after the lights have been on for a bit in the daytime?

Yes. They do tuck in to sleep when the lights go out.

Is the anemone doing any better today? Remember, upgrade the lights.

When I first looked at him right after the lights came on in the am he looked dead again, but he is starting to puff out again. We are working on upgrading the lighting and tweaking the amount of lighting we have now until we can get more light (this weekend). IRT lighting, do they make more wattage lights for the current fixture we have or do we add another strip of lights?

Kimberly

You'll need to add another. If you add another of the same you'll have 384 watts total and will open up your options on several types of compatable coral as well as having enough lighting for the anemone.

Even with the proper lighting, an anemone should be offered meaty foods about once a week. Squid seems to be a favorite :) as well as silversides and krill.

I didn't have any meaty foods available yesterday, but I fed him some of the green stuff we got for the clowns and the anemone is looking a lot better this morning than he normally does before the lights have been on for a while. Do we feed him frozen (but thawed) food or does it need to be live?

Thanks,
Kimberly

It can be thawed or live. I don't know what live foods you'd feed it. May be entertaining for some to watch an anemone mack on a damsel...LOL. A friend's first 90 gallon reef he had an anemone at the end of a water pump flow and everytime a fish got in this current, it got blasted right into the anemone. Needless to say, he moved the water pump. Too expensive of a menu going on.

I would feed considering your tank isnt that old and the lights are quit enough, if you are feeding your fish(which i hope you are) he should get some little peices of left over food floating around. but i target feed mine with silverslides about once a week and it seems to be working good. hope he gets better

I get so sick of reading watts per gal. Watts is the amount of elec power it takes to burn the darn thing not how much light it puts out. How many laminas dose a 400 watt metal halogen light put out How many florescent bulbs dose it take to equal the same or exceed this? If you have the right type of florescent lighting you can get more light from less wattage. But are you getting the right type of light? that is why they make so many deferent types of bulbs for the deferent spectrum. You probably just need to feed this anemone by hand some clam or shrimp just cut up some clam meat into small peace lay it on the anemone mouth and it should eat it right up. good luck. Research the light metal halogens are none fire hazard they can explode and the hot metal inside can land on the floor and burn down the house. Read up on them. Some insurance companies are rasing the cost to insure factories and warehouses that use them because of the danger.

I feed my BTA every other week some frozen squid pieces. They need to be fed some. I believe this coupled with the lighting problem could be your problem. Have a good day

Back
Top Bottom