Anemone unhappy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishKing87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

Hoping someone out there can help tell me what's up with my anemone !

I've had it for several months now, and he's been like this for over a month...any guesses out there?
Here are my latest test results :

Temp: 82.3
SG: 1.025
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
PH: 8.0

Thanks

Attachments

• image-611049453.jpg
    image-611049453.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 125
Looks like he might be trying to find the right amount of light. Was it open to the light at first? Then retreated under the rock? They will definitely find the best light for themselves. If not watched, to the demise of almost anything else, that's in their path! As far as parameters IMO:
Temp- little high. Around 80
S.G.- little high. Run mine at 1.024 (but really depends on other stocking)
Nitrates- probably tolerable but not ideal
PH- low. Should be 8.3
Hope this helps! Definitely not an expert, but I've had my Sebae for 5+ years, happily with no issues.

View attachment 81709

Goldband Maroon with Sebae

Okay awesome thanks for the help.
Trying to bring the PH back up with an additive.
I will adjust the temp as well, I agree that it's too high.

At first he was open but he's been under the rock for some time now, never comes out....
I've tried feeding him when he was out but he has not been out in so long I never have the chance too.

If it's been there for awhile, then it's probably trying to adjust to water parameters. As far as feeding, when I first got mine, I was told that I needed to feed it every 8-10 days with silversides. I did this for years. Being new to this sight too, the consensus seems to be that they get all the feeding that they need, with sufficient lighting of the right spectrum, and not from expired bulbs! I agree that it isn't necessary, but once in a while( once every month or two) couldn't hurt. I do think also, that constant feeding led mine to get ridiculously large. Not necessarily a good thing, I'm now in a 180 and the only place it won't damage anything is in the front right corner! I've thought to trade it at my LFS, and probably will end up doing that with the clown, but I've had them for years and don't really want to part with them! Good Luck, see what happens if you adjust your parameters...slowly!

Nitrate tests

Could very well be your test kit. I've always had trouble with my Nitrate kits (API,no wonder), get it tested at a reliable LFS, or get a Salifert kit. Pricey, but accurate!

All of your levels are fine, except I would try to lower the temp a bit. Consistency is the key. As long as things aren't fluctuating a lot, you should be ok. That anemone is not shielding itself from light. It's definitely unhappy. I would do a few water changes and see what happens.

Mix the day before leave overnight with a power head and heater.
Use a syphon to empty the water and then poor the bucket into the tank.
I'm wondering if it's my source water though...need to start buying RO water or distilled water...

It's possible. I would look to something besides light. If it was hiding from the light, it's tentacles would still be out, but just in a shadowed area, not shrunk in a ball like that.
There is an aptasia right next to it. I wonder if different anemones can irritate each other. I would look to killing them either way.

Just got a peppermint shrimp today to hopefully eat them all.
It just recently moved there, I put a rock on top of it so it moved, never use to be there before.
My anemone is usually all on its own with nothing around to bother it...

Back
Top Bottom